Posted to alt.home.repair
Barb

Default cellulose vs. fiberglass blowin insulation?

I bit the bullet and realized I cannot DIY blown-in insulation in the
kneewalls and other hard to insulate areas in the house. (Frame 2
story in Chicago, IL.) I've gotten estimates from two companies so
far.

But, I got one guy who is adamant that he use blow-in fiberglass, that
cellulose is lousy, dusty, dirty, and susceptible to mold. I do some
websearching, and find that fiberglass, however, is susceptible to
"fluffing" by the installer... They can blow it in in a way that looks
like they've filled the space, but it's more air than it should be...

So now I'm conflicted, and torn as to how to decide. Any installer is
going to be an unknown entity for me, no matter what, so I have to go
on stuff like BBB, how long in business and apparent "certifications"
in the insulation business.

Opinions, please!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Barb" wrote in message
ps.com...

I bit the bullet and realized I cannot DIY blown-in insulation in the
kneewalls and other hard to insulate areas in the house. (Frame 2
story in Chicago, IL.) I've gotten estimates from two companies so
far.

But, I got one guy who is adamant that he use blow-in fiberglass, that
cellulose is lousy, dusty, dirty, and susceptible to mold. I do some
websearching, and find that fiberglass, however, is susceptible to
"fluffing" by the installer... They can blow it in in a way that looks
like they've filled the space, but it's more air than it should be...

So now I'm conflicted, and torn as to how to decide. Any installer is
going to be an unknown entity for me, no matter what, so I have to go
on stuff like BBB, how long in business and apparent "certifications"
in the insulation business.

Opinions, please!

Considering that you're supposed to be very careful around fiberglass
insulation that comes in rolls (and yet, still releases some material as
it's handled), I'd be concerned about a product that's able to be blown in.
Is it done primarily through holes made from the outside of the house? If
some work is done inside, is the guy prepared (with the appropriate fancy
vacuum cleaner) to clean up any dusty residue?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Cellulose is paper, get it wet its nearly ruined, it is dusty, it
deteriorates over time, that is why it is cheaper and I and many use
fiberglass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

That's true, I used the cellulose for my previous house's attic (you
could actually see on some larger pieces the actual newsprint from
recycled newspaper). However, the cellulose has been treated with
pesticides, fungicides, and fire retardants to counteract the
decomposition, pests, and flammability. It is still dusty going in
though, much more so than I would imagine fiberglass to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Cellulose is paper, get it wet its nearly ruined, it is dusty, it
deteriorates over time, that is why it is cheaper and I and many use
fiberglass.

Is it basically a pump-able version of the pink stuff we buy in rolls? If
yes, is it easily controllable so you don't end up with a lot of it to clean
up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got the fiberglass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Barb" wrote in message
ps.com...

I bit the bullet and realized I cannot DIY blown-in insulation in the
kneewalls and other hard to insulate areas in the house. (Frame 2
story in Chicago, IL.) I've gotten estimates from two companies so
far.

But, I got one guy who is adamant that he use blow-in fiberglass, that
cellulose is lousy, dusty, dirty, and susceptible to mold. I do some
websearching, and find that fiberglass, however, is susceptible to
"fluffing" by the installer... They can blow it in in a way that looks
like they've filled the space, but it's more air than it should be...

So now I'm conflicted, and torn as to how to decide. Any installer is
going to be an unknown entity for me, no matter what, so I have to go
on stuff like BBB, how long in business and apparent "certifications"
in the insulation business.

Opinions, please!

The installers quote should specify the amount of material to be purchased
and installed. You can simply come on site during installation and count
the empty bags of material and verify all was in fact used. Don't tip them
off you will be counting, if they are crooked, they will have extra empty
bags on hand but they would have to be pretty crooked to think that far
ahead. If not specified on the quote, you can still count and work your way
back to what you believe they should need.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

PipeDown wrote:
"Barb" wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

Hi,
Organic vs. inorganic. If I were you, I'd go for fiberglass.
I never used anything else for blown in.
I am in COLD Calgary Alberta. It was -20C this morning.
The guy doing the work is usually hired hand. I buy couple bottles of
booze for him. He just turns on the blower and look the other way, LOL.
Once I had R60 in my attic for the price of R40 job(plus two bottles
of vodka).
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

Barb wrote:
I bit the bullet and realized I cannot DIY blown-in insulation in the
kneewalls and other hard to insulate areas in the house. (Frame 2
story in Chicago, IL.) I've gotten estimates from two companies so
far.

But, I got one guy who is adamant that he use blow-in fiberglass, that
cellulose is lousy, dusty, dirty, and susceptible to mold. I do some
websearching, and find that fiberglass, however, is susceptible to
"fluffing" by the installer... They can blow it in in a way that looks
like they've filled the space, but it's more air than it should be...

So now I'm conflicted, and torn as to how to decide. Any installer is
going to be an unknown entity for me, no matter what, so I have to go
on stuff like BBB, how long in business and apparent "certifications"
in the insulation business.

Opinions, please!

this is Turtle.

i did my house with cellulose and it was the one of the biggest mistake
i have made in my life. The Cellulose will put dust in your house for
YEARS . i insulated my house about a little less than 10 years ago and
I'm Still getting dust in my house from it. It is Cheaper but it is
hell to deal with later on after you install it.

Install Fiber Glass and Deal with the problem you spoke about of the
Firber glass being installed. Istallation problem can be openly dealt
with but a non-ending problem is a big mistake.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I got the fiberglass.

That's not an answer to the question I asked, about the form or consistency
of the blown fiberglass product.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Barb

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that i should go with fiberglass,
although I'm still a bit skeptical that it is as resistent to
particulate drift as they claim. the guy said you could take a
handful, hold it up to a light, shake it and not see any dust coming
off of it....

I think I need to simply be sure that I've anticipated any possibility
that we might need to later open up any of the walls it gets put
into... I'm thinking kneewalls won't ever get opened, but the attic
space overhead is a bit more troubling. I also wish fiberglass had
greater soundproofing qualities. I'm near a busy street and it would
be nice to reduce the traffic noise that I get through the roof and
attic...

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Which is better , a little more noise from outdoors in your house or a
life time of dust on everything you have and bunches of it. i'm stuck
with it , but I hope you don't.

TURTLE