Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default cellulose vs. fiberglass blowin insulation?

PipeDown wrote:
"Barb" wrote in message
ps.com...

I bit the bullet and realized I cannot DIY blown-in insulation in the
kneewalls and other hard to insulate areas in the house. (Frame 2
story in Chicago, IL.) I've gotten estimates from two companies so
far.

But, I got one guy who is adamant that he use blow-in fiberglass, that
cellulose is lousy, dusty, dirty, and susceptible to mold. I do some
websearching, and find that fiberglass, however, is susceptible to
"fluffing" by the installer... They can blow it in in a way that looks
like they've filled the space, but it's more air than it should be...

So now I'm conflicted, and torn as to how to decide. Any installer is
going to be an unknown entity for me, no matter what, so I have to go
on stuff like BBB, how long in business and apparent "certifications"
in the insulation business.

Opinions, please!

The installers quote should specify the amount of material to be purchased
and installed. You can simply come on site during installation and count
the empty bags of material and verify all was in fact used. Don't tip them
off you will be counting, if they are crooked, they will have extra empty
bags on hand but they would have to be pretty crooked to think that far
ahead. If not specified on the quote, you can still count and work your way
back to what you believe they should need.

Hi,
Organic vs. inorganic. If I were you, I'd go for fiberglass.
I never used anything else for blown in.
I am in COLD Calgary Alberta. It was -20C this morning.
The guy doing the work is usually hired hand. I buy couple bottles of
booze for him. He just turns on the blower and look the other way, LOL.
Once I had R60 in my attic for the price of R40 job(plus two bottles
of vodka).
Tony