Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] kfvorwerk@gmail.com is offline

Default Need high temp fiberglass insulation

On Apr 24, 5:52 am, RoyJ wrote:
Interesting stuff! But I don't need THAT much heat resistance.

But it is supposed to snow at the track on Saturday, took all the
pressure off of the repair job. Track slicks and snow is not a great
combination.

wrote:
On Apr 23, 4:26 am, RoyJ wrote:
It was a rough weekend at the track, I'm doing repair work today. The
cracked and crunched fiberglass bumper has some foil backed insulation
on it that is going to get destroyed when I repair the bumper, where to
get some replacement?

The insulation is about 1/2" thick, has a very heavy foil on one side,
not sure if it has anything on the other side, fibers are white and
fluffy (ceramic?). The stuff is needed to protect the fiberglass bumper
from the muffler so it needs to be pretty high temp.

I've tried McMaster, westMarine.com and came up empty. What do I search
on, what do you call it, where can I get a couple square feet in a hurry?

If you can't find that. Look for a pottery supply company and see if
they have fiberfrax.
http://www.fiberfrax.com/
Karl

Just remembered. We got a small piece about 1 foot square at Home
Depot or Lowes. It was for insulating wooden beams and studs when
soldering copper water pipe. Either in plumbing or by the propane/mapp
gas torches in tools.
Karl