Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Any calliope enthusiasts around?

On 15 Apr 2008 15:52:36 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Reason I ask: I'm making whistles and am finding that I can make
just about anything toot but I'm having a horrible time tuning the damned
things! Any help appreciated. I've been studying this page:
http://www.fonema.se/whistle/hotwhiz.html ...but I'm having a hard time
making sense of some of the nomographs. Would like to chat with whomever
about the things I may be getting wrong.

I dunno nuttin bout calliopes, but in my enthusiasm for pipe organs,
I've accumulated some large pipes. They are tuned by the very precise
method of cutting a strip of metal out of the top of the pipe (in the
rear, where it can't be seen). The strip is not detached at the
bottom, but rolled up (down); it kinda reminds me of the metal that
used to come off of sardine cans.

These are open-ended pipes, though. I don't know how they tune closed
pipes.

When I get my regenerative blower going this summer, I'm gonna find
out how they sound. Maybe someday I'll actually find an old pipe organ
for sale that needs work (meaning I can afford it).

Thanks for the calliope whistle link, BTW

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 1:17 am, Joe wrote:
[...]

It's not unusual for churches to get rid of their pipe organ to
replace it with an electronic one. No more tuning money out and they
don't seem to appreciate the old pipe organs. Could be inexpensive if
you did the removal. We could have had one for a very reasonable price
in the 70's but would have had to pull up the floor on the second
floor to have the height. Make friends with some church organists and
put the word out that you want one.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 04:28:34 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 17, 1:17 am, Joe wrote:

[...]

Heh heh, my wife was music director for her church for 25 years, but
they already had an electronic one. One contact she made offered me a
B3 for a good price, but I was broke at the time, so that fell
through. However, what you suggest is exactly what I keep my eyes
opened for. Turns out a co-worker lives "next door" (in the country)
to a person whose family builds pipe organs. She mentioned that there
was one in storage in OH with minor damage (split wood pipes, etc)
that had come out of a funeral home years ago, and could be had for
under a grand. Unfortunately, the contact name I had was in the
Phillipines installing an organ, and when he got back, it was gone.

I'll never give up hope, though.

I built my living room with 12 foot ceilings, so I can make anything
fit that I'm likely to find. I saw some photos of a guy who installed
his large pipes horizontally in a conventional-height room. Still, you
need a lot of volume (cubic feet, that is) to make a pipe organ sound
right. Won't do too well in a small space, even if it fits.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Apr 17, 1:17 am, Joe wrote:
[...]

Good luck. You''ll probably find one sooner or later.
Karl