Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] kfvorwerk@gmail.com is offline

Default Any calliope enthusiasts around?

On Apr 17, 1:17 am, Joe wrote:
On 15 Apr 2008 15:52:36 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Reason I ask: I'm making whistles and am finding that I can make
just about anything toot but I'm having a horrible time tuning the damned
things! Any help appreciated. I've been studying this page:
http://www.fonema.se/whistle/hotwhiz.html...but I'm having a hard time
making sense of some of the nomographs. Would like to chat with whomever
about the things I may be getting wrong.

I dunno nuttin bout calliopes, but in my enthusiasm for pipe organs,
I've accumulated some large pipes. They are tuned by the very precise
method of cutting a strip of metal out of the top of the pipe (in the
rear, where it can't be seen). The strip is not detached at the
bottom, but rolled up (down); it kinda reminds me of the metal that
used to come off of sardine cans.

These are open-ended pipes, though. I don't know how they tune closed
pipes.

When I get my regenerative blower going this summer, I'm gonna find
out how they sound. Maybe someday I'll actually find an old pipe organ
for sale that needs work (meaning I can afford it).

Thanks for the calliope whistle link, BTW

Joe

It's not unusual for churches to get rid of their pipe organ to
replace it with an electronic one. No more tuning money out and they
don't seem to appreciate the old pipe organs. Could be inexpensive if
you did the removal. We could have had one for a very reasonable price
in the 70's but would have had to pull up the floor on the second
floor to have the height. Make friends with some church organists and
put the word out that you want one.
Karl