Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 12"x 36" lathe. Best way onto Stand?

Hi,

I recently bought a 12" x 36" lathe with stand. I unpacked the lathe
and attempted to use a engine crane to place it on the stand. As I
found out, unfortunately the legs of the engine crane would not pass
under the lateral brace and even if it did, do to the center of
gravity of the lift point (near the headstock), one of the legs needs
to pass through the stand columns anyway. This is one of those
generic 12x36 lathe stands as I'm sure you've seen.

So I was reading Bill's recent lathe adventures and some one mentioned
to twist the lathe lengthways, with the headstock toward the crane
column, lower the lathe it on the floor, then recouple (so it doesn't
twist back, lift and straddle it onto the stand length ways? .

Is this the way to do it? I was tired when I gave up on it last night,
but it seems like a resonable idea. With my mills I built my own
stands, with the use of a pallet jack and crane in mind so this isn't
an issue. But this is first heavy piece of gear I've got that came
with a stand. When I got sick and tired of it last night I was certain
that I would need to spend a couple hundred dollars on some steel and
weld up a custom stand this weekend, but I would just as soon use the
stand I paid for if possible.

Any pointers?

Thanks
Mal
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 9, 4:50 pm, wrote:
[...]

Mal,
Worked for me, Griz 4003.

After you get the lathe mounted to the stand, you can go back, stick
the crane legs between the stands.
(Or maybe I straddled the headstock, been a while, like 6 months.)
Then lift the assembly.
ABOUT 1/2".
Lead ass friend can lift/push to keep it level, while you put it in
place.
Moved mine several times, (don't have access to electrical box, and a
shop move).

My shop crane is a HF, folding thing, upgraded with HF air powered
cyl. Needs to be set short, or the legs don't fit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

fired this volley in news:198583f2-23d1-425b-aa7d-
:

Hi,

I recently bought a 12" x 36" lathe with stand. I unpacked the lathe
and attempted to use a engine crane to place it on the stand. As I
found out, unfortunately the legs of the engine crane would not pass
under the lateral brace and even if it did, do to the center of
gravity of the lift point (near the headstock), one of the legs needs
to pass through the stand columns anyway. This is one of those
generic 12x36 lathe stands as I'm sure you've seen.

It's pretty simple, if you don't mind building a little lumber-work.

Build a gantry over the stand, using heavy lumber, and a a couple of
laminated SYP 2x12's as the cross beam. If you have a stout enough
ceiling, you can use it by running steel strapping over the truss
elements. If not, you can still use the ceiling to hold the beam steady,
and use single posts wedged in and screw-attached at the ends for upright
support.

Now, move the stand out of the way. Lift the lathe (a 12x36 isn't all
that heavy) up into the air. I'd use two locking block'n'tackle rigs;
one on each end. Lock it in place, and tie it off well. (you're about to
do work under it)

Slide the stand back into position, then lower the lathe onto it.
Finally, disassemble your gantry -- at least the uprights. You may want
to leave the beam for a future lift.

We got my 14x40 Reed onto its stand that way. The whole process took
maybe two hours, including building and demolishing the gantry.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

I mounted my 10x24 Enco by lifting it near the head, with the tailstock
end pointed away from the jack, aligned with the lift beam. I slid the
tailstock around to balance it. With the lathe just off the floor, I
move the whole works over to the wall so the left leg of the lift was
against the wall. Raised the lathe, slide the stand under it, bolted the
two together, then did final positioning. the overhang at the rear of
the lathe leaves plenty of room for a lathe leg.
This works only if you have sufficient working room to the left of
the lathe.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

You can avoid the lumber construction issues by using scaffolding which
is pretty cheap to rent and rather useful to own.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:50:32 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

YMMV, but I've moved a few machines onto stands with a small chain
hoist and lifting sling.

Eg.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=996

Of course you need to find or make something above it to attach the
hoist to (and it has to be something like a couple of feet higher).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:50:30 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Maybe you could place a 4x4 underneath each cabinet or
something similar that would give you enough clearance for
the crane leg. Set the lathe down on the cabinet and bolt
into place. Then use the crane to carefully lift the head
stock end and remove the 4x4. Repeat on the tail stock end.

Just a thought...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

That was my point with the scaffolding. Regular steel tube frame
scaffolding is great for erecting a quick gantry setup. The regular
aluma-plank deck planks are plenty strong to support a hoist, but you
have to put a length of 2x4 across the top width wise (19") and put a
rated lifting sling over that and around under the plank to a shackle to
hang the hoist from. Two hang points evenly spaced is best since the
planks aren't intended for high point loads.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 9, 6:50 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who responded. I was able to put it up on the stand no
problem tonight by following the some of the methods described above.

Mal