Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] malcolmsmit@gmail.com is offline

Default 12"x 36" lathe. Best way onto Stand?

On Apr 9, 6:50 pm, wrote:
Hi,

I recently bought a 12" x 36" lathe withstand. I unpacked the lathe
and attempted to use a engine crane to place it on thestand. As I
found out, unfortunately the legs of the engine crane would not pass
under the lateral brace and even if it did, do to the center of
gravity of the lift point (near the headstock), one of the legs needs
to pass through thestandcolumns anyway. This is one of those
generic 12x36 lathe stands as I'm sure you've seen.

So I was reading Bill's recent lathe adventures and some one mentioned
to twist the lathe lengthways, with the headstock toward the crane
column, lower the lathe it on the floor, then recouple (so it doesn't
twist back, lift and straddle it onto thestandlength ways? .

Is this the way to do it? I was tired when I gave up on it last night,
but it seems like a resonable idea. With my mills I built my own
stands, with the use of a pallet jack and crane in mind so this isn't
an issue. But this is first heavy piece of gear I've got that came
with astand. When I got sick and tired of it last night I was certain
that I would need to spend a couple hundred dollars on some steel and
weld up a customstandthis weekend, but I would just as soon use thestandI paid for if possible.

Any pointers?

Thanks
Mal

Thanks to all who responded. I was able to put it up on the stand no
problem tonight by following the some of the methods described above.

Mal