Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default 12"x 36" lathe. Best way onto Stand?

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:50:32 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

fired this volley in news:198583f2-23d1-425b-aa7d-
:

Hi,

I recently bought a 12" x 36" lathe with stand. I unpacked the lathe
and attempted to use a engine crane to place it on the stand. As I
found out, unfortunately the legs of the engine crane would not pass
under the lateral brace and even if it did, do to the center of
gravity of the lift point (near the headstock), one of the legs needs
to pass through the stand columns anyway. This is one of those
generic 12x36 lathe stands as I'm sure you've seen.

It's pretty simple, if you don't mind building a little lumber-work.

Build a gantry over the stand, using heavy lumber, and a a couple of
laminated SYP 2x12's as the cross beam. If you have a stout enough
ceiling, you can use it by running steel strapping over the truss
elements. If not, you can still use the ceiling to hold the beam steady,
and use single posts wedged in and screw-attached at the ends for upright
support.

Now, move the stand out of the way. Lift the lathe (a 12x36 isn't all
that heavy) up into the air. I'd use two locking block'n'tackle rigs;
one on each end. Lock it in place, and tie it off well. (you're about to
do work under it)

Slide the stand back into position, then lower the lathe onto it.
Finally, disassemble your gantry -- at least the uprights. You may want
to leave the beam for a future lift.

We got my 14x40 Reed onto its stand that way. The whole process took
maybe two hours, including building and demolishing the gantry.

LLoyd

You can avoid the lumber construction issues by using scaffolding which
is pretty cheap to rent and rather useful to own.

YMMV, but I've moved a few machines onto stands with a small chain
hoist and lifting sling.

Eg.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=996

Of course you need to find or make something above it to attach the
hoist to (and it has to be something like a couple of feet higher).

That was my point with the scaffolding. Regular steel tube frame
scaffolding is great for erecting a quick gantry setup. The regular
aluma-plank deck planks are plenty strong to support a hoist, but you
have to put a length of 2x4 across the top width wise (19") and put a
rated lifting sling over that and around under the plank to a shackle to
hang the hoist from. Two hang points evenly spaced is best since the
planks aren't intended for high point loads.