Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Are Prices Going Up For Metalworking Goods?

I do not buy very much new stuff for the shop since I have "most" of
the tools I want and all the metal stock I need for now.

For those who do buy on a regular basis, are you seeing price
increases occurring?

Have the prices of metals continued to increase or have they
stabilized?

How about shipping costs?

The cost of new machines that a HSMer would buy?

Thanks

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 05:54:25 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

I do not buy very much new stuff for the shop since I have "most" of
the tools I want and all the metal stock I need for now.

For those who do buy on a regular basis, are you seeing price
increases occurring?

Have the prices of metals continued to increase or have they
stabilized?

How about shipping costs?

The cost of new machines that a HSMer would buy?

Thanks

TMT

Lead and brass prices continue to rise rapidly. A box of 500 bullets
that cost me $40.99 last summer is now about $63. Factory ammo with
brass cases has similarly escalated, and doesn't seem to be slowing
down.

There goes the Republic...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Lead and brass prices continue to rise rapidly. A box of 500 bullets
that cost me $40.99 last summer is now about $63. Factory ammo with
brass cases has similarly escalated, and doesn't seem to be slowing
down.

There goes the Republic...

Nah, some of us had the foresight to stock up a long time ago although
mining the backstop for lead to remelt is starting to look attractive.

The price of lead and copper has got to the point that old ranges that get
shut down due to encroachment might be self financing when doing
remediation.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Lead and brass prices continue to rise rapidly. A box of 500 bullets
that cost me $40.99 last summer is now about $63. Factory ammo with
brass cases has similarly escalated, and doesn't seem to be slowing
down.

There goes the Republic...

Nah, some of us had the foresight to stock up a long time ago although
mining the backstop for lead to remelt is starting to look attractive.

The price of lead and copper has got to the point that old ranges that get
shut down due to encroachment might be self financing when doing
remediation.

Wes

Well, it's good that you applied your skills at anticipating commodities
futures to keep your lead supply up to snuff, Wes. I'm sure that will hedge
your financial position very well. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Well, it's good that you applied your skills at anticipating commodities
futures to keep your lead supply up to snuff, Wes. I'm sure that will hedge
your financial position very well. d8-)

Being paranoid about the nations changing political leanings has had a side
benefit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I do not buy very much new stuff for the shop since I have "most" of
the tools I want and all the metal stock I need for now.

For those who do buy on a regular basis, are you seeing price
increases occurring?

Have the prices of metals continued to increase or have they
stabilized?

How about shipping costs?

The cost of new machines that a HSMer would buy?

Thanks

TMT

Lead and brass prices continue to rise rapidly. * A box of 500 bullets
that cost me $40.99 last summer is now about $63. * Factory ammo with
brass cases has similarly escalated, and doesn't seem to be slowing
down. * *- Hide quoted text -

Wow...I haven't purchased ammo for quite awhile since I have a
considerable stockpile and too busy to use it.

That is a dollar considerable increase.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:56:23 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

.. .
wrote:

I do not buy very much new stuff for the shop since I have "most" of
the tools I want and all the metal stock I need for now.

For those who do buy on a regular basis, are you seeing price
increases occurring?

Have the prices of metals continued to increase or have they
stabilized?

How about shipping costs?

The cost of new machines that a HSMer would buy?

Thanks

TMT

Lead and brass prices continue to rise rapidly. A box of 500 bullets
that cost me $40.99 last summer is now about $63. Factory ammo with
brass cases has similarly escalated, and doesn't seem to be slowing
down.

There goes the Republic...

Not if we all go out and stock up on reloading equipment and buy now,
while it's still legal...

--
That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
-- Henry David Thoreau
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:56:23 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

. ..
wrote:

I do not buy very much new stuff for the shop since I have "most" of
the tools I want and all the metal stock I need for now.

For those who do buy on a regular basis, are you seeing price
increases occurring?

Have the prices of metals continued to increase or have they
stabilized?

How about shipping costs?

The cost of new machines that a HSMer would buy?

Thanks

TMT

Lead and brass prices continue to rise rapidly. A box of 500 bullets
that cost me $40.99 last summer is now about $63. Factory ammo with
brass cases has similarly escalated, and doesn't seem to be slowing
down.

There goes the Republic...

Not if we all go out and stock up on reloading equipment and buy now,
while it's still legal...

It sure would make some head-turning headlines: "US Economy Turns Up On
Ammunition-making Sales: 'We're going to shoot our way out of this
recession,' says Bernanke." (EU objects; cites environmental lead pollution)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

My reference was not to ammo, just bullets. Bullets are components of
ammo. Ammo is an assembled entity consisting of bullet, brass
cartridge case, powder (propellant) and primer or cap.

Ammo prices have increased comparably in recent months. 500 rounds of
WWB (Winchester White Box) .45ACP target ammo is now $235.99 plus
shipping at MidwayUSA, comparable per round at Wal-Mart without
shipping but with local sales tax.

Possession of a considerable stockpile of ammo one is "too busy" to
use in a recreational activity would be considered as evidence of
mental instability, particularly in California. They'll probably
collect your guns as well. Phew!

Ya can't sell it on EBay and responsible disposal could cost more than
you paid for it, so you may as well just let the gummint collect it
along with your guns when they come round.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I do not buy very much new stuff for the shop since I have "most" of
the tools I want and all the metal stock I need for now.

For those who do buy on a regular basis, are you seeing price
increases occurring?

Have the prices of metals continued to increase or have they
stabilized?

How about shipping costs?

The cost of new machines that a HSMer would buy?

Thanks

TMT

Lead and brass prices continue to rise rapidly. A box of 500 bullets
that cost me $40.99 last summer is now about $63. Factory ammo with
brass cases has similarly escalated, and doesn't seem to be slowing
down.

This is why I pamper the 35 or so moulds I own.

And snag alloyed lead wherever I can.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 23:33:52 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:56:23 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

There goes the Republic...

Not if we all go out and stock up on reloading equipment and buy now,
while it's still legal...

It sure would make some head-turning headlines: "US Economy Turns Up On
Ammunition-making Sales: 'We're going to shoot our way out of this
recession,' says Bernanke." (EU objects; cites environmental lead pollution)

g Yabbut, it'd keep our EPA busy.