Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Be Careful Out There...

Trying to gently press off a bearing with about a 1" OD and 1/2" ID... Was
a light press fit when I put it on there! Thing blew up in my face. The
outer race and balls flew everywhere including into my upper lip and right
forearm. Both have marks but no blood. My eyeball would have been injured
pretty good as would a tooth, etc...

Be careful out there... Even the things that are not supposed to go after
you sometimes do!

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Trying to gently press off a bearing with about a 1" OD and 1/2" ID... Was
a light press fit when I put it on there! Thing blew up in my face. The
outer race and balls flew everywhere including into my upper lip and right
forearm. Both have marks but no blood. My eyeball would have been injured
pretty good as would a tooth, etc...

Be careful out there... Even the things that are not supposed to go after
you sometimes do!

Wow, never had anything like that happen, and I've salvaged a bunch of
bearings, mostly out of disk drives and the like. I have heard of such
things, though. What caused the outer race to shatter? I've heard of
this when people wash bearing units and then use an air jet to blow the
solvent off, but I've never heard of one exploding from static forces.

I guess it is ALWAYS a good idea to wear eye protection when using a
press, though.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trying to gently press off a bearing with about a 1" OD and 1/2" ID...
Was a light press fit when I put it on there! Thing blew up in my face.
The outer race and balls flew everywhere including into my upper lip and
right forearm. Both have marks but no blood. My eyeball would have been
injured pretty good as would a tooth, etc...

Be careful out there... Even the things that are not supposed to go
after you sometimes do!

Wow, never had anything like that happen, and I've salvaged a bunch of
bearings, mostly out of disk drives and the like. I have heard of such
things, though. What caused the outer race to shatter?

I think the inner race somehow welded itself to the shaft it was on even
though it was a light press fit originally... Thus, pressung the thing off
caused the two races to separate and then pop!

In a perfect world, I would have been pressing on the inner race to remove
the bearing, but because of a step on that side of the shaft, it has to be
the outer race that takes the removal thrust... A no-no normally, but we
discard the bearing after removal anyhow so it doesn't matter if we damage
it. Never imagine it would explode in my face...

I've heard of this when people wash bearing units and then use an air jet
to blow the solvent off, but I've never heard of one exploding from static
forces.

Well... I'll be wearing safety goggles to type for a while. This was a bit
scary.

I guess it is ALWAYS a good idea to wear eye protection when using a
press, though.

I would have to agree...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
[...]

If this is a continuing process you may want to make a fixture to snugly go
around the outer race and prevent it from splitting. The fixture could also
provide the axial support for getting the bearing off.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wrap a towel or rag around the bearing when pressing. Espesially if
not pressing 100% on the inner race.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 21:42:25 -0600, "Don Young"
wrote:

[...]

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Randy" wrote in message
Wrap a towel or rag around the bearing when pressing. Espesially if
not pressing 100% on the inner race.

Good, inexpensive idea.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 08:53:41 -0500, Randy wrote:
Wrap a towel or rag around the bearing when pressing. Espesially if
not pressing 100% on the inner race.

Never, ever ever ever, put force on the balls in a bearing. I'm sure
I'm not the only person who learned this?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Never, ever ever ever, put force on the balls in a bearing. I'm sure
I'm not the only person who learned this?

Mostly true... But then how do you get a bearing off a shaft that has a
shoulder on one side? i.e. you can't get to the ID of the bearing except to
load it onto the shaft? That was my predicament and the inner race was
basically welded to the shaft, thus the problem...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Never, ever ever ever, put force on the balls in a bearing. I'm sure
I'm not the only person who learned this?

When I have to press something like this that makes me nervous, I drop
an old brake drum over it as a scattershield.

Mostly true... But then how do you get a bearing off a shaft that has a
shoulder on one side? i.e. you can't get to the ID of the bearing except to
load it onto the shaft? That was my predicament and the inner race was
basically welded to the shaft, thus the problem...

Then you get a hammer and cold chisel, and beat it off. it's easier than
it sounds. If you are good with a torch, that works faster.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mostly true... But then how do you get a bearing off a shaft that has a
shoulder on one side? i.e. you can't get to the ID of the bearing except
to load it onto the shaft? That was my predicament and the inner race
was basically welded to the shaft, thus the problem...

Then you get a hammer and cold chisel, and beat it off. it's easier than
it sounds. If you are good with a torch, that works faster.

Or in this case, press on the outer race, watch it explode in my face,
realize the inner race is stuck good and the shaft is scored too badly to be
reused and simply replace the component as a whole...

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Mostly true... But then how do you get a bearing off a shaft that has a
shoulder on one side? i.e. you can't get to the ID of the bearing except
to load it onto the shaft? That was my predicament and the inner race
was basically welded to the shaft, thus the problem...

Then you get a hammer and cold chisel, and beat it off. it's easier than
it sounds. If you are good with a torch, that works faster.

Or in this case, press on the outer race, watch it explode in my face,
realize the inner race is stuck good and the shaft is scored too badly to be
reused

Not much fun that.

and simply replace the component as a whole...

Hell, what fun is that? You're 'sposed to build up the shaft, turn it
down in your lathe, heat treat, install new bearing, Build a web page
illustrating the entire process in excruciating detail, wiith numerous
photos....

Wait....i'm in the auto parts business.

Yeah, buy that new axle.
and bearing.
Seal? Gasket?
You want to change out that differential oil too, right?
Differential cover gasket?
RTV?
Pinion seal?

Oh, you say the bad bearing ruined the seal and got oil all over those
brake shoes? tsk.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:46:48 -0600, Rex wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

Now we know why Rex has all those Salesman of the Year certs over his
desk....

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

LOL Well, I do marketing for 100+ parts stores

Be careful out there Jon Danniken Metalworking 4 September 21st 07 09:02 PM
Be Careful Woodworking 4 November 8th 06 12:33 AM
Be Careful Mike O. Woodworking 5 November 8th 06 12:32 AM
Be careful out there! Glen Woodworking 36 September 6th 06 11:18 PM
Be Careful Out There RonB Woodworking 14 April 21st 05 06:36 AM