Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Be Careful Out There...

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:46:48 -0600, Rex wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Mostly true... But then how do you get a bearing off a shaft that has a
shoulder on one side? i.e. you can't get to the ID of the bearing except
to load it onto the shaft? That was my predicament and the inner race
was basically welded to the shaft, thus the problem...
Then you get a hammer and cold chisel, and beat it off. it's easier than
it sounds. If you are good with a torch, that works faster.

Or in this case, press on the outer race, watch it explode in my face,
realize the inner race is stuck good and the shaft is scored too badly to be
reused

Not much fun that.

and simply replace the component as a whole...

Hell, what fun is that? You're 'sposed to build up the shaft, turn it
down in your lathe, heat treat, install new bearing, Build a web page
illustrating the entire process in excruciating detail, wiith numerous
photos....

Wait....i'm in the auto parts business.

Yeah, buy that new axle.
and bearing.
Seal? Gasket?
You want to change out that differential oil too, right?
Differential cover gasket?
RTV?
Pinion seal?

Oh, you say the bad bearing ruined the seal and got oil all over those
brake shoes? tsk.....

Now we know why Rex has all those Salesman of the Year certs over his
desk....

Gunner