Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Epoxy bearing materials, HSM cnc resources

EG - Moglice, Poly PBM, various others - most of which don't seem to be
so proud of their low prices that I can find any place with prices
listed - all "call us", which I associate with "if I have to call and
ask, I probably can't afford it"...

I can't find any of these products in McMaster/MSC/Enco, but I may
simply not have the right search terms at my fingertips - I'd think one
of them would carry at least one brand of the stuff.

Thinking about casting acme nuts for a small woodwork (not super
precision) CNC (trying to get more life out of the old shop-bot (which
is a bit sketchy about where it's at with the old cable/encoder system)
by making a smaller acme screw arrangement for the old
steppers/controller to drive.

I'm assuming that if I want UPS shipping I need to stick with Enco's 3
foot leadscrews - would like the 6 foot, the price is fine, but I don't
want to get into truck shipment - it's a huge hassle here. I could get a
lot of work done in the smaller space if I can get the machine to the
point where it can run without too much babysitting - right now it needs
a lot of babysitting. I also need to figure out an affordable spindle
that's about a million times quieter than a universal-motor router,
unless I build it in a bunker 50 feet away from the shop - the few times
I have had the old thing running happily, it was awful to be anywhere
near while it worked.

All can of course be solved by the application of large quantities of
money, but that's not the route I would prefer to go, lacking it, and
lacking a solid income stream for the thing - it's always been a hobby
machine, with the hope that I might get it together to the point where
it made some money and bought itself a replacement, but thus far it's
been too finicky to make reliable progress on the money-making front.

I've been dipping into cnczone, but I find it very fragmented - is there
a better place to start for DIY HSM CNC machine info?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 27, 2:01 pm, Ecnerwal
wrote:
[...]

There was a long string on this a while , maybe 6 weeks ago. I was
asking about repairing the tailstock on my Sheldon lathe and someone
posted a lot of info on using new epoxy compounds to repair acme
threads. I saved the links but don't feel like copying and pasting a
bunch of them here, but if you shoot me an email at gerry@gem-
enterprises.net I will do so in an email for you. I would like to lay
my hands on some of this material to repair a compound feed but have
not tried to buy any as of yet. Gerry

BTW, many thanks to whomever it was that posted all the info back then-
I'm sorry I do not remember your name
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:01:11 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:
snip
Thinking about casting acme nuts

snip
============
Any way that you could adapt stock acme nuts, possibly two of
them so you could adjust for backlash?

I envison the two nuts, possibly with a spring between [bellville
washer? wave washer?] clamped on the flats.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 27, 2:01 pm, Ecnerwal
wrote:
[...]

Brownell's sells atomized metal and epoxy to mix it with. May be worth
a look. Bronze, aluminum, steel and stainless are listed on their
site http://www.brownells.com/
I've used their Accraglass for years in general shop use and bedding
rifle stocks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote:

EG - Moglice, Poly PBM, various others - most of which don't seem to be
so proud of their low prices that I can find any place with prices
listed - all "call us", which I associate with "if I have to call and
ask, I probably can't afford it"...

Moglice Germany is selling "Samples" 50 or 100 g for about 10 EUR. That
should give you a ballpark. 100 g are enough to make several guides of a
not so big lathe.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:01:11 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:
snip
Thinking about casting acme nuts for a small woodwork (not super
precision) CNC (trying to get more life out of the old shop-bot (which
is a bit sketchy about where it's at with the old cable/encoder system)
by making a smaller acme screw arrangement for the old
steppers/controller to drive.

snip
=========
This might be off-the-shelf for you
http://www.roton.com/Sleeve_Nut.aspx?line=Acme
http://www.roton.com/Engineering_Data.aspx?line=Lead
http://www.nookindustries.com/acme/AcmeProcesses.cfm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm assuming that if I want UPS shipping I need to stick with Enco's 3
foot leadscrews - would like the 6 foot, the price is fine, but I don't
want to get into truck shipment

=========
I have had several ups shipments of 6 foot stock from enco with
no problems. weight may become an issue.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal writes:

I'm assuming that if I want UPS shipping I need to stick with Enco's 3
foot leadscrews - would like the 6 foot, the price is fine, but I don't
want to get into truck shipment - it's a huge hassle here.

UPS ships packages up to 9 feet long.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
F. George McDuffee wrote:

This might be off-the-shelf for you

There are also non-precision nuts from Enco, but still a bit fiddly to
mount with present tooling (a big FE Reed lathe that's pushing 120
years, and is in need of some fettling in its setup - no mill) - what I
like conceptually about the Moglice (et al) approach is good precision
with minimal wear/friction on the rod along with comparative ease of
mounting. McMaster has all the nice bronze nuts, and can easily
quadruple (or more) my expenditures for this refit if I buy nuts and
mounting flanges for nuts and what-not from them.

Some folks also suggest just making a quick and dirty tap from an offcut
of Acme rod and tapping a chunk of UMHW, which is a reasonably priced
option if I can get 5 and 6 foot material from Enco without going the
truck route (evidently possible so long as total weight is reasonable,
by your experience - I'll call them on Monday and check what I can
expect, shipping-wise).

There is a place I stumbled across in the depths of one of the cnczone
posts that is doing acetal anti-backlash Acme nuts in limited small
sizes for a reasonably low price -

http://www.dumpstercnc.com/leadnuts.html

I'm coming from a machine that had 1-step resolution at about 0.004" and
accuracy that would be considerably less than that - but it's fine for
what it does when it holds that. The new version will probably drop to
0.0005"/step, be slower by a similar factor, and still not be all that
precise due to practical matters of machine flex and material stability.
While I'd love to have precision, I don't have the budget for it or the
need for a great deal of it in this application.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote:
EG - Moglice, Poly PBM, various others - most of which don't seem to be
so proud of their low prices that I can find any place with prices
listed - all "call us", which I associate with "if I have to call and
ask, I probably can't afford it"...

I can't find any of these products in McMaster/MSC/Enco, but I may
simply not have the right search terms at my fingertips - I'd think one
of them would carry at least one brand of the stuff.

Moglice is sold in the US by Devitt Machinery, they have a fair amount
of info and pictures on the web, they will send you an illustrated guide
that has more info. They have, I think, 7 grades of the stuff, from
water thin to paste. I did a 15" Sheldon lathe with it. It was about
$50 for the minimum can, something like 50 grams. I bought two, and had
to use the second because I didn't fill the spaces up enough. They have
a bunch of accessories that you use with it, but their stuff REALLY
works, and I am quite happy with the results. I did the underside of
the carriage on that lathe, and it is a BIG carriage.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nick Mueller wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

EG - Moglice, Poly PBM, various others - most of which don't seem to be
so proud of their low prices that I can find any place with prices
listed - all "call us", which I associate with "if I have to call and
ask, I probably can't afford it"...

Moglice Germany is selling "Samples" 50 or 100 g for about 10 EUR. That
should give you a ballpark. 100 g are enough to make several guides of a
not so big lathe.

Nick

I paid 74 USD iirc, for 100g of Moglice semi. Dewitt who is the distributor
in the US really makes a bundle on it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Dewitt who is the distributor in the US really makes a bundle on it.

But they do have a *much* better documentation then the original
manufacturer. :-)

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO: