Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Retraining

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 04:21:19 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 01:21:41 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

Operationally, a neo-con is a reactionary closet
aristocrat/oligarch, that believes in control by a small ruling
class, and most have delusions that s/he has been chosen by god
to be a member of this elite.

The Clintons are Neo-Cons???????

The DNC is a neo-con stronghold?????

Gunner

===============
Opposite sides of the same coin. Right & left hand sock puppets
in the long running punch-n-judy show.

Well, most of the original neocons actually were Democrats, and the current
ones are "rightists" only in a narrow sense. You should read that article in
_Commentary_ that I posted about. It's a pretty good education in neoconism.

--
Ed Huntress

Thank you Ed! "Neocon" seems to be one of those words that people bend to their
will without a clue as to the true meaning...like George has done.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

t...

wrote:

[...]

It is a word that gets bent all around, and it has evolved, but the foreign
diplomacy part of it also is a philosophy based on a cockeyed view of the
world. The antithesis of the neocons is another new movement that we haven't
heard much about yet but which is destined to play a big role in political
arguments of coming years, IMO. They're called the Radical Centrists. Watch
for further announcements on TV and on your supermarket shelves...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

In a perfect world or with a different species other than humans. The trouble
is that wealth would NOT be created in the first place if there was no reward in
it for the creators. No manufacturing, no farming, no mining or drilling. You
would then have your equality...nobody would have anything.

We would all be like Hawkie? Sleeping in a nest of dead leaves, and
eating worms?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:11:48 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

In a perfect world or with a different species other than humans. The trouble
is that wealth would NOT be created in the first place if there was no reward in
it for the creators. No manufacturing, no farming, no mining or drilling. You
would then have your equality...nobody would have anything.

We would all be like Hawkie? Sleeping in a nest of dead leaves, and
eating worms?

Ayup...he is a carrion eater. The avian equivelent of a dung beetle.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:01:22 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:19:45 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
snip
So, the answer is clear: It's time to learn to dance or shuffle.
Practice those pirouettes, and always deal from the top of the deck,
ya'll.

snip
============
The black box economy
By Stephen Mihm
January 27, 2008

Behind the recent bad news lurks a much deeper concern: The world
economy is now being driven by a vast, secretive web of investments
that might be out of anyone's control.

Yeah. Remember our discussion about deregulated financial markets and
Ronnie Reagan? It's "collateral, collateral, who's got the collateral?"
all over the world.

I think it was five or six years ago I said here that the derivatives in
hedge funds are going to bite us in the ass some day, because nobody
knew how they linked together, after they've been bundled and re-bundled
a half-dozen times. I pointed out that we'd never find out how they're
linked until they started to tank and everybody made margin calls and
tried to collect on everyone else.

Too bad I didn't sell short on them as an investment.

================
Looks like the derivatives/dominos are starting to topple.

This is a positive feed-back loop and looks like it may have *VERY* high
gain.

(For those not familiar with the bond market, MBIA is a major bond
"insurance" company that guarantees the payment of interest and principal
of (generally municipal) bonds. This [has] greatly reduced the risk
premium / interest rate on these bonds. If MBIA and the other bond
"insurers" get into serious trouble, the ratings of the bonds they
guaranteed will drop and so will the value of these bonds, resulting in
further write-downs, losses, and credit contraction.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080131/ap_on_bi_ge/
earns_mbia;_ylt=AsN9YW0PpPIGg0E2MzS605SyBhIF
68.180.150.139
====================
MBIA loses $2.3 billion on write-downs

By STEPHEN BERNARD, AP Business Writer 1 hour, 48 minutes ago

NEW YORK - MBIA Inc. reported write-downs of $3.5 billion on souring
credit markets Thursday, exacerbating concerns that rising costs could
squeeze local governments as well as slow any recovery for big banks.
snip
Continued weakness in the bond insurance market may put struggling banks
in a precarious position. Banks, which have reduced portfolio values by
more $140 billion during the second half of 2007 in a deteriorating
mortgage market, might be forced to take further write-downs tied to
bonds insured by companies like MBIA.
snip
The insurer lost $2.3 billion in the fourth quarter, or $18.61 per share,
compared with earnings of $181 million, or $1.32 per share, during the
same period the previous year.
snip
MBIA raised more than $1.5 billion in recent months to try and maintain
its critical "AAA" rating. The company raised $1 billion through the
offering of surplus notes and another $500 million through a direct
investment by private equity firm Warburg Pincus, which closed Wednesday.
snip
Oppenheimer & Co. analyst Meredith Whitney said banks' could take up to
$70 billion in additional write-downs because of the faltering bond
insurers.
snip
The bond insurance market is in the midst of a major upheaval after
ratings agencies began reviewing their operations during the fourth
quarter.
snip
============

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

In a perfect world or with a different species other than humans. The trouble
is that wealth would NOT be created in the first place if there was no reward in
it for the creators. No manufacturing, no farming, no mining or drilling. You
would then have your equality...nobody would have anything.

We would all be like Hawkie? Sleeping in a nest of dead leaves, and
eating worms?

Ayup...he is a carrion eater. The avian equivelent of a dung beetle.

Come on, Gunner. 'Hawkie' is so lazy if it doesn't die right in front
of him, he'd rather go hungry.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell