Mike Hibbert

Default Retraining advice please?

Hello All,

for a while now I have been thinking quite seriously about giving up my
IT job, and retraining as a Painter & Decorator. I enjoy it, and think
my work is of a reasonably good standard, and think it could be much
more rewarding that what I do at the moment.

What training is out there for me? I have had a look at the local
college, but it is all aimed at school leavers with day release. I don't
mean to be patronising, but I think I could learn faster than a school
leaver, and would need to get up and running quicky.

I guess you don't actually need any formal training, but I would like to
have something just to make sure I have the theory as well as the
practice, and to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Any Ideas?

Cheers

Mike
Rick

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:33:49 GMT, Mike Hibbert
wrote:

Hello All,

for a while now I have been thinking quite seriously about giving up my
IT job, and retraining as a Painter & Decorator. I enjoy it, and think
my work is of a reasonably good standard, and think it could be much
more rewarding that what I do at the moment.

What training is out there for me? I have had a look at the local
college, but it is all aimed at school leavers with day release. I don't
mean to be patronising, but I think I could learn faster than a school
leaver, and would need to get up and running quicky.

I guess you don't actually need any formal training, but I would like to
have something just to make sure I have the theory as well as the
practice, and to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Any Ideas?

Cheers

Mike

I am also in IT, and also intend to leave it.

I am building my own house as alearning project. On bits I have
little/no skill I get in a profesional who is prepared to have me work
with them, so I learn as well as do all the donkey work for them.

It may be good training to work for somebody else for a month or two.

Rick

Mike Hibbert wrote:
Hello All,

for a while now I have been thinking quite seriously about giving up my
IT job, and retraining as a Painter & Decorator. I enjoy it, and think
my work is of a reasonably good standard, and think it could be much
more rewarding that what I do at the moment.

What training is out there for me? I have had a look at the local
college, but it is all aimed at school leavers with day release. I don't
mean to be patronising, but I think I could learn faster than a school
leaver, and would need to get up and running quicky.

I guess you don't actually need any formal training, but I would like to
have something just to make sure I have the theory as well as the
practice, and to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Any Ideas?

Cheers

Mike

IANAP&D, but I bet most of it's straightforward. Take on some simple
jobs 4 or 5 days a week and do 1 day's training. That way you're
earning from day one. And learning is often a lot easier if you can see
immediately why you need to know XYZ. Might be better not to tell any
difficult customers why you have to have one day off, though :-)

Chris

AlexW

wrote:

[...]

I also work in IT and am considering leaving it ... please let us all
know how you both get on!

TIA,

Alex
AlexW

Owain wrote:
AlexW wrote:

Rick wrote:

Mike Hibbert wrote

for a while now I have been thinking quite seriously about giving up
my IT job,

I am also in IT, and also intend to leave it.

I also work in IT and am considering leaving it ...

I am useless at decorating and am still naive enough to believe that IT
could offer an interesting and lucrative career.

Owain

It's not the "technical" work, just that its all getting outsourced,
offshored, offshore/onshored etc. Also, you start of wanting to build
things and end up pen-pushing in service delivery or something. Which is
fine if that's what you want to do, if not you wonder why you are doing it.

IT is not poorly paid but, its not the all its cracked up to be either.
For example, my company is a big UK systems integrator has only had one
round of pay awards in the last 4 years. Most of the big names in the UK
have had thousands of redundancies since the dot com bubble burst.
Things are not so bleak right now, but an increasing amount of the
revenue is generated offshore.

IMO you could do worse than IT as a career, but you could do better.

HTH,

Alex.

DJC

Owain wrote:
AlexW wrote:
Rick wrote:
Mike Hibbert wrote
for a while now I have been thinking quite seriously about giving up
my IT job,
I am also in IT, and also intend to leave it.

I also work in IT and am considering leaving it ...

I am useless at decorating and am still naive enough to believe that IT
could offer an interesting and lucrative career.

There are similarities. You can suck your teeth and say 'who did you get
to install this then', work is always delayed due to the wrong kind of
tuits, no sooner do you finish than someone wants it altered, and there
is always an unfinished imperfect bodged bit that only you notice, and
the bit that rots.

Despite my best efforts to leave it, still in IT and to old to leave it.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Mike Hibbert

AlexW wrote:
Owain wrote:

AlexW wrote:

Rick wrote:

Mike Hibbert wrote

for a while now I have been thinking quite seriously about giving
up my IT job,

I am also in IT, and also intend to leave it.

I also work in IT and am considering leaving it ...

I am useless at decorating and am still naive enough to believe that
IT could offer an interesting and lucrative career.

Owain

It's not the "technical" work, just that its all getting outsourced,
offshored, offshore/onshored etc. Also, you start of wanting to build
things and end up pen-pushing in service delivery or something. Which is
fine if that's what you want to do, if not you wonder why you are doing it.

Yep, thats pretty much the size of it! It would just be nice to work for
yourself, no danger of having to explain how you do thing to an indian
so that they can then do your job for you.