Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Belts for Clausing 5914 Lathe?

The variable-speed belt on the Clausing 5914 lathe (made in 1972) looks
a bit worn, has already lost a number of cogs, and the other cogs are
cracked, so belt replacement is in order. The timing belt looks OK, but
I may replace both, as it's such a chore, requiring partial disassembly
of the powertrain.

My questions are what belts (by make and model) are correct, where can
one buy them, and what should they cost? (I imagine one can get them
from Clausing, but at a substantial markup.)

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

The variable-speed belt on the Clausing 5914 lathe (made in 1972) looks
a bit worn, has already lost a number of cogs, and the other cogs are
cracked, so belt replacement is in order. The timing belt looks OK, but
I may replace both, as it's such a chore, requiring partial disassembly
of the powertrain.

My questions are what belts (by make and model) are correct, where can
one buy them, and what should they cost? (I imagine one can get them
from Clausing, but at a substantial markup.)

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Clausing group on yahoo. Message 4232

mikehenryil michaelhenry@... wrote:
Someone else posted that they had a Gates 1626V384 belt on their 5914
but weren't sure if it was the proper belt. It looks like that was in
the same thread as Gene's post, though.

RD Burch in another thread suggested that 1930V400 is the industry
designation for the belt but he may have gotten that from the earlier
thread. Later he mentions that 1922V400 may be a better fit, based on
sheave angle.

James Casey talked about Goodyear "1930v400 variable speed belt and
630h150 timing belt" in a 12/2003 post and seemed to think that they
worked out OK.

Sorry - no post numbers for any of the above.

From another forum, a member there suggests that Browning 1930V400 is
the right belt.

If you still have the original belt, why not take it to a bearing
house and get them to cross reference it for you? My local Motion
Industries (Berry Bearing) outlet has been helpful for that in the
past.

Mike

###

HTH,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Wes
wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

The variable-speed belt on the Clausing 5914 lathe (made in 1972) looks
a bit worn, has already lost a number of cogs, and the other cogs are
cracked, so belt replacement is in order. The timing belt looks OK, but
I may replace both, as it's such a chore, requiring partial disassembly
of the powertrain.

My questions are what belts (by make and model) are correct, where can
one buy them, and what should they cost? (I imagine one can get them
from Clausing, but at a substantial markup.)

I cannot figure out which belt is which from the Clausing pricelist of
November 2005, but "timing belts" go for about $200, and "belts" for
about $100, although there are lots of cheap belts that I assume are not
for powering the spindle.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Clausing group on yahoo. Message 4232

I tried to post the same question on the yahoo Clausing group, but
nothing happened. I'm a new member, and I assume that the Moderator has
not yet released this my first posting.

mikehenryil michaelhenry@... wrote:
Someone else posted that they had a Gates 1626V384 belt on their 5914
but weren't sure if it was the proper belt. It looks like that was in
the same thread as Gene's post, though.

RD Burch in another thread suggested that 1930V400 is the industry
designation for the belt but he may have gotten that from the earlier
thread. Later he mentions that 1922V400 may be a better fit, based on
sheave angle.

The variable-speed belt is on the machine is made by Goodyear and has
"1930V400 64" molded into the rubber.

The timing belt has no markings that I could find.

James Casey talked about Goodyear "1930v400 variable speed belt and
630h150 timing belt" in a 12/2003 post and seemed to think that they
worked out OK.

The timing belt is 1.5" wide and has two teeth per inch. I'll have to
count the teeth, but given the count finding the correct timing belt
should not be hard. The above number would be a good starting point.

Sorry - no post numbers for any of the above.

From another forum, a member there suggests that Browning 1930V400 is
the right belt.

It appears that 1930V400 is an industry-standard number.

If you still have the original belt, why not take it to a bearing
house and get them to cross reference it for you? My local Motion
Industries (Berry Bearing) outlet has been helpful for that in the
past.

I can certainly do this, but I figured that I am not the first to
replace the belts, so the answer or answers should already be known.
And it seems that they are.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Clausing group on yahoo. Message 4232

I tried to post the same question on the yahoo Clausing group, but
nothing happened. I'm a new member, and I assume that the Moderator has
not yet released this my first posting.

You can search from the groups.yahoo.com web page for the clausing group.

There is a gent with the last name Webb that is likely your best source of
info. I have a 6903 and don't know the differences between that one and
yours.

I sure wish winter would end. I'd like to finish repairing mine and get to
using it. 7F atm. Having a warm streak.

Wes