Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rusted gears usable? (Harold)

news
On 2008-01-16, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Best of all, it doesn't attack parent metal. That's one of the negative
attributes of HCl.

Harold, how serious of an issue, practically, is hydrogen
embrittlement related to HCl? For example, let's say that I dunk a
lifting chain in HCl for 20 minutes. Would it become unsafe
afterwards? I always appreciate your knowledge and opinions.

I can render only an opinion. For what it's worth: Yes, it would be a
problem. Hardened steel has an affinity for hydrogen, thus it is readily
absorbed. What would concern me with a chain is the relatively thin
sections, which would likely be fully penetrated in short order. The
roasting process is simple----and would assure that there was no problem.
375 degrees F for a couple hours and there's no worry.

I did this to one chain a while ago, and do not mind taking corrective
action if necessary. Is that correct to say that taking it to an oven
as you described, can be done quite some time after it was derusted?

Thanks Harold. Maybe your advice would prevent me from getting in
trouble.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-16, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[...]

I'm not privy to any information that dictates that the operation can't be
performed at a later date. I would assume doing it late is better than not
doing it as all. As long as the chain appears to be good now, you have
nothing to lose by following the procedure. The temperature is below that
which would alter the heat treat condition, so you have nothing to fear.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-16, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

I did this to one chain a while ago, and do not mind taking corrective
action if necessary. Is that correct to say that taking it to an oven
as you described, can be done quite some time after it was derusted?

I'm not privy to any information that dictates that the operation can't be
performed at a later date. I would assume doing it late is better than not
doing it as all. As long as the chain appears to be good now, you have
nothing to lose by following the procedure. The temperature is below that
which would alter the heat treat condition, so you have nothing to fear.

According to the ASM Metals Handbook hydrogen embrittlement isn't
nearly as problematic when pickling as it is for various plating
processes. Apparently aging is sufficient after pickling to reverse
any potential damage, while roasting ASAP is required for the worst of
the plating processes.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:27:41 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

According to the ASM Metals Handbook hydrogen embrittlement isn't
nearly as problematic when pickling as it is for various plating
processes. Apparently aging is sufficient after pickling to reverse
any potential damage, while roasting ASAP is required for the worst of
the plating processes.

Hi Ned,

Any guesstimates on the "aging" timeframe/values?

Months, years, eras?

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-16, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Ned. There's not a lot of information available on that topic

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

According to the ASM Metals Handbook hydrogen embrittlement isn't
nearly as problematic when pickling as it is for various plating
processes. Apparently aging is sufficient after pickling to reverse
any potential damage, while roasting ASAP is required for the worst of
the plating processes.

Hi Ned,

Any guesstimates on the "aging" timeframe/values?

Months, years, eras?

A guess? Days. Much more would seem impractical in a manufacturing
context, which is the focus of the ASM handbook.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

According to the ASM Metals Handbook hydrogen embrittlement isn't
nearly as problematic when pickling as it is for various plating
processes. Apparently aging is sufficient after pickling to reverse
any potential damage, while roasting ASAP is required for the worst of
the plating processes.

Hi Ned,

Any guesstimates on the "aging" timeframe/values?

Months, years, eras?

A guess? Days. Much more would seem impractical in a manufacturing
context, which is the focus of the ASM handbook.

If that is really the case I don't need to worry about it.
At the speed I move with any of my "projects" nowadays it
would be 2-3 years before I would be putting it to use

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Rusted gears usable? Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 63 January 17th 08 09:37 PM
Old Stains Still Usable? Gary Brown Woodworking 3 December 17th 06 12:37 AM
Variation in usable capacitor ratings? Art Deco Electronics Repair 14 October 27th 06 09:39 AM
Swap? Atlas 10F change gears, need 618 gears Rex B Metalworking 6 February 15th 06 03:41 AM
Wooden gears to metal gears. Don Stauffer Metalworking 5 January 30th 06 09:53 PM