Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Rusted gears usable? (Harold)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:36:15 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"

On 2008-01-16, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

I did this to one chain a while ago, and do not mind taking corrective
action if necessary. Is that correct to say that taking it to an oven
as you described, can be done quite some time after it was derusted?

I'm not privy to any information that dictates that the operation can't be
performed at a later date. I would assume doing it late is better than not
doing it as all. As long as the chain appears to be good now, you have
nothing to lose by following the procedure. The temperature is below that
which would alter the heat treat condition, so you have nothing to fear.

According to the ASM Metals Handbook hydrogen embrittlement isn't
nearly as problematic when pickling as it is for various plating
processes. Apparently aging is sufficient after pickling to reverse
any potential damage, while roasting ASAP is required for the worst of
the plating processes.

--
Ned Simmons