Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Most Frugal and Practical Pickup Truck?

Trevor Jones wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jan 15, 2:06 pm, James wrote:

On Jan 15, 2:25 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I am considering getting my next pickup truck...what is in your
opinion the best candidate for a frugal and practical pickup truck?

Thanks

TMT

Too many unanswered questions. Why do you want/need a pickup, whats
the biggest load you will carry/tow, whats the max passengers you
carry etc.

Domestic pickups are pretty price competitive given the market.

If can fit your needs, the Ford Ranger is being heavily discounted as
its discontinued. Good on gas. I've rented one and it was fine.

Of course you know that pickup brands are a dangerous territory
becuase people have life long prejudicies. My father grew up with
Chevies and will never have anything else. My brother has driven Fords
since 1980. Neither would buy a Dodge. Pickups tend to gather long
term loyalties.

James

So did cowboys to their horses...;)

I NEED a pickup ;)...I haul too many items that would not fit inside
a car and the spontaneous nature of the hauling (like finding that
special tool hundreds of miles from home) means that a car-trailer
combo won't work.

As for the price competitiveness of domestic pickups, I am not sure on
that. Try finding an used domestic pickup in good shape at a
reasonable price...it takes years to find a good match with that
criteria.

Brand wise I do not care as long as long term maintainance costs are
low.

TMT

Reasonably new, used domestic trucks kind of suck, as they cost only a
little less than you can get a new truck for. When you factor in nearly
free financing, from the maker, you can do pretty well there.

I think this may be a bit obsolete at the moment. I'm pretty sure there
are quite a few fairly new and decent condition used trucks available at
the moment from folks who panicked at the fuel prices and purchased
smaller vehicles even though it would take a decade to realize any
actual savings from higher MPG.

There is a wide gap between the price of new, and the low end of the
market, where it costs you for the price of purchase, then it costs you
dear for repairs or perpetual problems. It has been my experience that
the middle ground, is a poor place to shop.

After that, in the low end, you have to be willing and able to twist
your own wrenches for the majority of things that might go wrong, and be
accepting of the other less urgent needs of the truck. Must resist urge
to run to the dealer because the check engine light is on! :-)

You nedd a little beater truck, or you gotta pull a fifth wheel with it?

Based on the OP's subsequent posts, it sounds like he needs a reasonably
reliable truck for general use, with the capacity to transport those
unplanned tool acquisitions. Probably no 5er to pull.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:58:58 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Reasonably new, used domestic trucks kind of suck, as they cost only a
little less than you can get a new truck for. When you factor in nearly
free financing, from the maker, you can do pretty well there.

I think this may be a bit obsolete at the moment. I'm pretty sure there
are quite a few fairly new and decent condition used trucks available at
the moment from folks who panicked at the fuel prices and purchased
smaller vehicles even though it would take a decade to realize any
actual savings from higher MPG.

Lots of these kinds of trucks in Florida, and Arizona. The snowbirds
buy em to haul 5th wheels and so forth, and with some regularity, die,
leaving the truck and trailer to be disposed of. Often by a relative
in a distant state.

Gunner