Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default marking how made dials

I need to mark some dials for a end mill grinder that i'm building. Does
anyone know where I could find plans to build such a tool to mark dials
graduations?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Curtis Purdy wrote:

I need to mark some dials for a end mill grinder that i'm building. Does
anyone know where I could find plans to build such a tool to mark dials
graduations?

http://www.2linc.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you have access to a CAD program, you can draw and print it full size.

"Curtis Purdy" wrote in message
I need to mark some dials for a end mill grinder that i'm building. Does
anyone know where I could find plans to build such a tool to mark dials
graduations?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 14, 10:31 pm, "Curtis Purdy" wrote:
I need to mark some dials for a end mill grinder that i'm building. Does
anyone know where I could find plans to build such a tool to mark dials
graduations?

This is one place where you MIGHT spend dozens of hours per dial on a
part that can be bought for a few dollars and will be more readable
purchased with laser etching on black anodize.

www.sherline.com/fullsize.htm

and a few dealers including MSC sell them

not to say that etching and stamping your own might not work out fine
but i think it might be easier to buy the dial as a dial.

Just a suggestion

Brent
Ottawa Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks Pete.

What I'm looking for is a neat little hand engraver that I see on here that
which mounts on the lathe or the milling table . You mount you blank dial in
a index holder which allows you to turn it and the manual device scribes the
graduations on it. I can't remember where I see on here.
CP.

"Pete C." wrote in message
Curtis Purdy wrote:

I need to mark some dials for a end mill grinder that i'm building. Does
anyone know where I could find plans to build such a tool to mark dials
graduations?

http://www.2linc.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Curtis Purdy wrote:

You mount you blank dial in
a index holder which allows you to turn it and the manual device scribes
the graduations on it. Â*I can't remember where I see on here.

I've seen that before. Maybe somewhere in Model Engineer or such.
But it isn't *that* complicated that you need a plan. :-)
Just grind a sharp tool bit (similar like for thread cutting, just pointy)
and clamp it in the toolpost with the edge pointing to the left (or right).
Then you can "engrave" the lines with the top slide.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de