Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Has anyone made a shell mill holder?

I have a nice little 2" Valenite shell mill to adapt to my Eklind mill
head. The Eklind uses a modified B3 collet, truly an orphan. The
interesting problem is making the drive tabs alongside the pilot shaft
that fit into the top of the shell mill.

Anyone have a quick and easy method?

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:

I have a nice little 2" Valenite shell mill to adapt to my Eklind mill
head. The Eklind uses a modified B3 collet, truly an orphan. The
interesting problem is making the drive tabs alongside the pilot shaft
that fit into the top of the shell mill.

Anyone have a quick and easy method?

Kevin Gallimore

The drive keys? Make them separately and bolt them on after the fact.
Alternately, mill them on the arbor face, bore a hole for the pilot and
hold it in separately with a setscrew.

Just a thought

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 14, 8:26 pm, Paul wrote:
axolotl wrote:

I have a nice little 2" Valenite shell mill to adapt to my Eklind mill
head. The Eklind uses a modified B3 collet, truly an orphan. The
interesting problem is making the drive tabs alongside the pilot shaft
that fit into the top of the shell mill.

Anyone have a quick and easy method?

Kevin Gallimore

The drive keys? Make them separately and bolt them on after the fact.
Alternately, mill them on the arbor face, bore a hole for the pilot and
hold it in separately with a setscrew.

Just a thought

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

I made one with a 1/2 inch shank to fit a collet on my Emco mill. The
pilot shaft was also 1/2 inch. I milled shallow slots on each side of
the pilot shaft and brazed the drive lugs in place. Works for me. I
have a R8 holder at work that has the lugs screwed to the pilot.
either way works.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default shipping machinery

I am interested in shipping a Diacro 12' shear from Chatsworth Ca. to
Minneapolis, MN. What is the easiest and cheapest way to accomplish
this. The weight of the shear is listed at 325lbs.
Michael

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-16, Michael wrote:
I am interested in shipping a Diacro 12' shear from Chatsworth Ca. to
Minneapolis, MN. What is the easiest and cheapest way to accomplish
this. The weight of the shear is listed at 325lbs.

Twelve *foot*? I didn't know that DiAcro *made* them that
large. And the weight sounds too little for a 12 foot sheer, and (I
think) too much for a 12 inch shear -- but maybe right if it has all the
accessories, including the workpiece clamp bar. It sounds closer to
right for the 24 inch one which I have.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564