Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default Has anyone made a shell mill holder?

On Jan 14, 8:26 pm, Paul wrote:
axolotl wrote:

I have a nice little 2" Valenite shell mill to adapt to my Eklind mill
head. The Eklind uses a modified B3 collet, truly an orphan. The
interesting problem is making the drive tabs alongside the pilot shaft
that fit into the top of the shell mill.

Anyone have a quick and easy method?

Kevin Gallimore

The drive keys? Make them separately and bolt them on after the fact.
Alternately, mill them on the arbor face, bore a hole for the pilot and
hold it in separately with a setscrew.

Just a thought

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

I made one with a 1/2 inch shank to fit a collet on my Emco mill. The
pilot shaft was also 1/2 inch. I milled shallow slots on each side of
the pilot shaft and brazed the drive lugs in place. Works for me. I
have a R8 holder at work that has the lugs screwed to the pilot.
either way works.

Paul