Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default wiring a stove in the shop

I need a stove in my shop. I have several Welder type recepticals,
but I notice my stove has a 4 prong plug, while the welder is 3
prong. Can someone politely explain to me if I can adapt my stove to
a welder receptical?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sk sk is offline

On Jan 14, 1:46 pm, wrote:
I need a stove in my shop. I have several Welder type recepticals,
but I notice my stove has a 4 prong plug, while the welder is 3
prong. Can someone politely explain to me if I can adapt my stove to
a welder receptical?

This is good that you have a newer stove that has a separate safety
ground and neutral return wire (my 1956 Garbage Electric stove does
not, still running strong). You will need to run another wire from
your breaker panel to the modified outlet (assuming it is not there)
where you replace the current receptical with one matching the stove
(or not depending how important safety ground is to you), and replace
the outlet to either match the stove plug, or replace the plug cord
with one that matches your welder outlet (giving up a separate safety
ground where you would then tie the neutral and safety ground
terminals together in the stove).

ignator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"sk" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 1:46 pm, wrote:
[...]

If you do not need the clock/timer or the light you may be able to
ignore the white wire and just connect the 220V & gnd.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

I need a stove in my shop. I have several Welder type recepticals,
but I notice my stove has a 4 prong plug, while the welder is 3
prong. Can someone politely explain to me if I can adapt my stove to
a welder receptical?

Stoves typically have a higher Amprage connector than welders.
Are you sure the wiring is sized appropiatly? Be sure before
you go just changing the connector.

On what planet? Stoves are typically 40A and welders are typically 50A
or more... Well, real welders are at least.

Stove has both a neutral and a ground as things like lights and clocks
are 110v instead of 220v/

Howard Garner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Howard R Garner wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

I need a stove in my shop. I have several Welder type recepticals,
but I notice my stove has a 4 prong plug, while the welder is 3
prong. Can someone politely explain to me if I can adapt my stove to
a welder receptical?

Stoves typically have a higher Amprage connector than welders.
Are you sure the wiring is sized appropiatly? Be sure before
you go just changing the connector.

On what planet? Stoves are typically 40A and welders are typically 50A
or more... Well, real welders are at least.

Stove has both a neutral and a ground as things like lights and clocks
are 110v instead of 220v/

Only under more recent code. Older stove installations are 3 wire, same
as older dryer installations.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

I need a stove in my shop. I have several Welder type recepticals,
but I notice my stove has a 4 prong plug, while the welder is 3
prong. Can someone politely explain to me if I can adapt my stove to
a welder receptical?

Stoves typically have a higher Amprage connector than welders.
Are you sure the wiring is sized appropiatly? Be sure before
you go just changing the connector.

On what planet? Stoves are typically 40A and welders are typically 50A
or more... Well, real welders are at least.

Oh! well those are BIG welders and the ones I'm familiar with are
wired in direct.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

I need a stove in my shop. I have several Welder type recepticals,
but I notice my stove has a 4 prong plug, while the welder is 3
prong. Can someone politely explain to me if I can adapt my stove to
a welder receptical?

Stoves typically have a higher Amprage connector than welders.
Are you sure the wiring is sized appropiatly? Be sure before
you go just changing the connector.

On what planet? Stoves are typically 40A and welders are typically 50A
or more... Well, real welders are at least.

Oh! well those are BIG welders and the ones I'm familiar with are
wired in direct.
...lew...

Well, many are. Certainly the one in my home shop is since 100A
connectors are too dang expensive. At large manufacturers plugs are
pretty common, since a) they can afford the connectors, and b) they feed
the welders 480V so the connectors aren't as big.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 14, 11:30 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

[...]

On the feed into my container i stumbled on the same issue

the connector is too expensive to put a lot of them in
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 15, 6:37 am, Brent wrote:
On Jan 14, 11:30 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Ugh I need to post later int he day.

I was looking at two M-F camlocks one between the shop panel and the
cables to the house and one at the walls of the house for the 100A i'm
expecting to run into the shop. Once i saw connector proces exceeding
even my cable prices i thought better. I'm going with a single
connector at the house. If i need to disconnect the cables from the
shop i can take then formt he wall and remove them at the panel.

Brent
Ottawa Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brent wrote:

On Jan 15, 6:37 am, Brent wrote:
On Jan 14, 11:30 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Two? You should have at least four camlocks, two hots, neutral and
ground. Check with theatrical supply places in the area, they may be
able to give you better prices. Also note that the commonly used camlock
for theatrical distribution is a 250A rated one, and a smaller, cheaper
one rated at 125A is available.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 15, 8:17 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Brent wrote:

On Jan 15, 6:37 am, Brent wrote:
On Jan 14, 11:30 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

[...]

two connection points, sorry

yes youre right (And I come from the Audio production side) Group of 4
Black Red White and Green (Blue as well in 3 Phase systems)

thanks for the heads up on the 125A cam I'll keep my eyes open Usually
though the electrical places beat the theatrical places here.
Unfortunately

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 03:37:39 -0800 (PST), Brent
wrote:

On Jan 14, 11:30 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I need (13) 480 connectors for welders. What do I use that costs less
than $300 a set?

5 on welders, 8 on the wall

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jan 14, 11:30 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

[...]

What amperage? Looks like 30A 480V 3ph twistlocks aren't that bad, ~$72
/ set:

http://www.foxelectricsupply.com/con...tegoryId=26349
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jan 14, 11:30 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

[...]

50 amp at 480. 100 amp at 240.

And having some yutz pull a plug under load is also possible....

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jan 14, 11:30 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

http://www.foxelectricsupply.com/con...ctCatalog.asp?...

50 amp at 480. 100 amp at 240.

And having some yutz pull a plug under load is also possible....

Gunner

Sounds like an environment with employees as sharp as hammers

Brent
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jan 14, 11:30 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Southern California. English is not..not the primary language in the
shop portion.... comprende?

Its hard enough to get em to wipe their ass and not put the used paper
in the waste basket. Teaching em to flush it...

"no tienen servicios que enrojecen en mi pueblo....¿usted quiere decir
que se supone que nosotros ponemos el papel en el agua?...."

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:45:05 -0800, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Brent wrote:
On Jan 14, 11:30 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

Oh! well those are BIG welders and the ones I'm familiar with are
wired in direct.

Well, many are. Certainly the one in my home shop is since 100A
connectors are too dang expensive. At large manufacturers plugs are
pretty common, since a) they can afford the connectors, and b) they feed
the welders 480V so the connectors aren't as big.

On the feed into my container i stumbled on the same issue
the connector is too expensive to put a lot of them in

I need (13) 480 connectors for welders. What do I use that costs less
than $300 a set?

5 on welders, 8 on the wall

The same ones that you use on a Spider Box lead - the less-used
sizes of "California Series" twistlock devices are going to be around
$200 a set, but the very commonly used CS6365 spider-box plug and
CS6369 locking receptacle (120/240V 1Ph 4-wire) are around $50 each.

They make CS8165 plug and CS8169 receptacle for 50A 480V 3Ph 4-wire
(no neutral). Can't be /that/ much more...

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
... Can't be /that/ much more...

"Famous last words" (anybody else remember those 1-frame cartoons?).

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 14, 11:30 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

[...]

$67 each for the males, $63 for the recepticals .

They will be in will-call in the morning. Customer swallowed his gum
when I gave him the totals.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK fellas, I found that on the far wall of the shop, I have a stove
plug, three wire plus ground. So I need to make up a 40 ft extension
cord, and run it along the wall. I am only going to use the lower
oven element, this stove does not even have a broiler element in it.
The 4 elements on the top do not work either... this is simply for
baking after powder coating. Can I use 4 conductor 10 gauge stranded
wire for this extension cord? They call it CAB TIRE around here.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks Pete C.

I traced back the breaker and it is indeed 30 amps!

cheers!