Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 way to 4 way wiring for stove

ok, just got a new stove, pulled old stove out to find a direct wire
stove. house was built in 1980. ok cut the power and opend the
junction box at the stove . this is where it gets interesting.

house has 3 way but the stove was 4 way and is wired like the
following

house

black
black-with red strip (hot)
and stranded alumium ground I guess

so on stove hooked up to house

black to black
red to red
white to aluminum
ground to aluminum.

so what options do I have for installing it. I read the other forum
topic on this but I'm confused on the multistranded aluminum.

rewiring it is impossible as we have very low roof line and getting
to the wires out of the fuse box in attic is zero unless your a 5 year
old in size.

do I uncoonnect the 4 way wiring from the old stove and hook it up as
4 way on the new stove or go get a 3way wall socket for range and 3
way plug.

the stove has a 50amp fuse breaker.

thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It's three wire and four wire. What you do is buy a three wire range outlet
and connect it to the three wires you have. Hot, Hot, and neutral-ground ,
which are the bare wire. You get a three wire range cord set and connect it
to the range, Hot, Hot, and neutral-ground should be the center terminal.
The center terminal should have a jumper, either installed or in a parts
bag, that connects the center terminal to the frame of the range, bonding
the neutral and ground together. This method is NEC approved for existing
installations, which is what you have. If it were a new installation, you
would need a four wire cable and the neutral and ground would be separated
at the receptacle and the range

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The stove should have installation instructions; follow them. The ones I
have seen have a jumper for connecting the ground to the neutral internally.
You leave it on for 3 wire and remove it for 4 wire.
However, I don't see anything wrong with the way the old one was installed;
except it might be difficult to get all the wires connected adequately. It
is tough enough to twist two big wires together; 3 is awful.
Be sure to clean the aluminum wires and use antioxidant.

Or use the plug and outlet if you are more comfortable with it. It might be
considered a code violation, since you are installing a new 3wire outlet and
they are now forbidden.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 9:41 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
It's three wire and four wire. What you do is buy a three wire range outlet
and connect it to the three wires you have. Hot, Hot, and neutral-ground ,
which are the bare wire. You get a three wire range cord set and connect it
to the range, Hot, Hot, and neutral-ground should be the center terminal.
The center terminal should have a jumper, either installed or in a parts
bag, that connects the center terminal to the frame of the range, bonding
the neutral and ground together. This method is NEC approved for existing
installations, which is what you have. If it were a new installation, you
would need a four wire cable and the neutral and ground would be separated
at the receptacle and the range

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

thanks for the reply ,

but my whirlpool instructions state line 1 and line 2 ? how do you
which line is which, is line 1 always hot or red for that matter? they
are not listed by color

and the neutral bare ware is completely bare with no insulation on it
any where in the length.

so I think going to use the current 4way hook up as the new way to
hook up. there was no oxidation on any of the aluminum/copper mix with
the alumium crimper ring. so thats good for being 27 years old.

will add the anti-oxidation stuff if I can find it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 21, 9:41 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
It's three wire and four wire. What you do is buy a three wire range
outlet and connect it to the three wires you have. Hot, Hot, and
neutral-ground , which are the bare wire. You get a three wire range cord
set and connect it to the range, Hot, Hot, and neutral-ground should be
the center terminal. The center terminal should have a jumper, either
installed or in a parts bag, that connects the center terminal to the
frame of the range, bonding the neutral and ground together. This method
is NEC approved for existing installations, which is what you have. If it
were a new installation, you would need a four wire cable and the neutral
and ground would be separated at the receptacle and the range

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

No, you MUST add the anti-oxidant for aluminum, go to home Depot or some
such place and get a small tube of it. first clean up the wire end with
light sand paper (make it shiny and clean) then coat it with the
anti-oxidant and then assemble it into the new terminal connector. Its not
so bad on large wire but AL is notorious for loosening up and corroding
over time and that leads to a poor
connection and possibly a fire. Copper is much more forgiving.
Seriously, dont half-ass aluminum connections.
Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

On Jun 21, 9:41 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
It's three wire and four wire. What you do is buy a three wire range
outlet and connect it to the three wires you have. Hot, Hot, and
neutral-ground , which are the bare wire. You get a three wire range
cord
set and connect it to the range, Hot, Hot, and neutral-ground should be
the center terminal. The center terminal should have a jumper, either
installed or in a parts bag, that connects the center terminal to the
frame of the range, bonding the neutral and ground together. This method
is NEC approved for existing installations, which is what you have. If
it
were a new installation, you would need a four wire cable and the
neutral
and ground would be separated at the receptacle and the range

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I agree that, considering how cheap it is, anti-oxidant is prudent; but is
it only absolutely necessary on small aluminum wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 12:00 am, Eric wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 21, 9:41 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
It's threewireand fourwire. What you do is buy a threewirerange
outlet and connect it to the three wires you have. Hot, Hot, and
neutral-ground , which are the barewire. You get a threewirerange cord
set and connect it to the range, Hot, Hot, and neutral-ground should be
the center terminal. The center terminal should have a jumper, either
installed or in a parts bag, that connects the center terminal to the
frame of the range, bonding the neutral and ground together. This method
is NEC approved for existing installations, which is what you have. If it
were a new installation, you would need a fourwirecable and the neutral
and ground would be separated at the receptacle and the range

wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

ok will do for the anti-oxidant, but how do you know which is line 1
and line 2 for hooking up to the new stove or does it not matter?
confused on this last part before starting on this project.

thanks again for the warning on the aluminum connections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ok will do for the anti-oxidant, but how do you know which is line 1
and line 2 for hooking up to the new stove or does it not matter?
confused on this last part before starting on this project.

thanks again for the warning on the aluminum connections.

The stove can't tell either. They are equivalent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 12:24 am, wrote:
On Jun 22, 12:00 am, Eric wrote:

wrote:
On Jun 21, 9:41 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
It's threewireand fourwire. What you do is buy a threewirerange
outlet and connect it to the three wires you have. Hot, Hot, and
neutral-ground , which are the barewire. You get a threewirerange cord
set and connect it to the range, Hot, Hot, and neutral-ground should be
the center terminal. The center terminal should have a jumper, either
installed or in a parts bag, that connects the center terminal to the
frame of the range, bonding the neutral and ground together. This method
is NEC approved for existing installations, which is what you have. If it
were a new installation, you would need a fourwirecable and the neutral
and ground would be separated at the receptacle and the range

wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

oops, well I was looking at the instruction and thinking the diagrams
were the back of the stove actually. I decided to actually go and look
and the back of the new stove. problem solved, red,black,white ground
all right their.

thanks again for all the input

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If you read the instructions carefully, it will probably say NOT to connect
to aluminum wire. If you use the range receptacle and range cord, you will
overcome this obstacle

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 22, 12:24 am, wrote:
On Jun 22, 12:00 am, Eric wrote:

wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dont ya just love people who ask for help; you give 'em the right answer
in your first reply, and all of a sudden they're experts and say, "no,
I'm going to do it my way."
RBM wrote:
If you read the instructions carefully, it will probably say NOT to connect
to aluminum wire. If you use the range receptacle and range cord, you will
overcome this obstacle

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 22, 12:24 am, wrote:
On Jun 22, 12:00 am, Eric wrote:

wrote:
[...]
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric writes:

No, you MUST add the anti-oxidant for aluminum, go to home Depot or some
such place and get a small tube of it. first clean up the wire end with
light sand paper (make it shiny and clean) then coat it with the
anti-oxidant and then assemble it into the new terminal connector.

Better yet, put the anti-oxidant on the wire *first*, then clean it
with the sandpaper. (Or apply a blob of anti-oxidant to the sandpaper
first). If you sand the aluminum dry, it starts developing a new oxide
coating instantly wherever it is in contact with oxygen. If you put
the anti-oxidant on first, enough to keep the aluminum surface wet,
then oxygen is excluded and the aluminum surface doesn't develop an
oxide layer.

Yes, the sandpaper will get covered with anti-oxidant. Yes, it's
messy. But it's the right way to do it.

Dave