Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrician Help - Wiring for a Stove/Range

Hello -

I am renovating an older house and have decided to relocate the stove
to the other side of the kitchen. The current wire that was in place
was really short and close to the electrical box and all corroded from
age. The wire was a think 6 gauge wire I think, with a red and black
wire and then copper twisted around the red and black wire all within a
mesh material.

I went to the store the other day to buy a replacement wire and bought
a 6 gauge 2 wire piece thinking that the twisted copper was the ground,
but after closer analysis, I don't think it was a ground wire at all.
Is this possible? I think the wire had a common (twisted wire) and two
hot wires. Should I have bought the 6 gauge 3 wire instead?

Do oven lines have a ground? Or do they now and didn't back then? Not a
professional as you can probabley tell.

Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Modern ranges will need:

1) A black +120V line

2) A red -120V line (red to black gives the 240V spread)

3) A white neutral line (to run items that need less voltage [120])

4) A green grounding line in case something goes wrong, it will cause
stray voltage to flow freely and safely to the earth and cause the
breaker to trip.

I recommend you get a few books on wiring from your library and perhaps
a book or booklet on wiring principles from a hardware store or online.
They're worth it and they'll pay for themself in no time and help keep
you and your house safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Mike. I have a couple sources, but yea, I need an updated book
(with pictures...haha) to go by. I am not use to seeing wire that old I
guess. I got a little confused.

So....I guess I should have bought the 6-3 wire. Darn....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"johnnymo" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Old oven lines did not have a ground, they had a "uninsulated neutral" which
served as both the neutral and the ground. Existing wiring is
grandfathered, but new wiring must have an insulated neutral and a ground.
You cannot legally install your 6/2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

upgrade to 6 3 with ground current code safer and better

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks guys....makes sense. I should have looked closer. Never saw a
neutral "unshielded" before. I guess I am showing my age....or my
knowledge with that comment.

No limit right? I have to go about 30 feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yea, I wanted to go ahead and replace the existing wire. It was old,
been nawed on by rodents and just plain frale. No stove yet, so when I
buy a stove it is going to be a four prong plug huh?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

For your new range you'll need a four wire range outlet and cord set. You
are better off using 6/3G romex as opposed to SER which you can probably
only find in aluminum

"johnnymo" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.applianceaid.com/wirehelp.html

--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven's Current Weather
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...er+Haven+33881
"johnnymo" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

jm:

What kind of panel does the wire go back to? Is it a breaker panel, or
an old
fuse box? You may have trouble finding somewhere to attach a #6
neutral
as well as a #6 ground to, say, an old Wadsworth 60A fuse box.

Be aware that the innards of an old fuse box may have deteriorated over
the
years. Be very aware that, even if you pull out the main
fuse block or turn the main breaker to OFF, the service wires (the
large ones
that come into the house) and the lugs, screws, and whatever attaches
to them
are all very much alive and capable of electrocuting you or explosively
vaporizing
the end of an insulated screwdriver, throwing bits of metal in your
direction.
It's very wise to wear goggles when working in a panel.

Also remember that the terminals must be properly tightened, neither
too
tight nor too loose.

Maybe you know all this stuff already. I just want to point out that
wiring is
not something that should be learned from the people at Home Despot,
and
it's better to learn this some way that doesn't involve making a big
BANG and
a blue flash.

Cordially yours:
G P

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks paw...

I got it wired this weekend. I believe the fuse box has been updated
since the home was built, so all the wires fit beautifully.

In regards to being careful. I learned my lesson already and am super
cautious now. I bumped a hot wire while on a ladder from a light switch
that somebody turned on and got zapped pretty good.....ouch.

Thanks.