Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrician Help - Wiring for a Stove/Range

Hello -

I am renovating an older house and have decided to relocate the stove
to the other side of the kitchen. The current wire that was in place
was really short and close to the electrical box and all corroded from
age. The wire was a think 6 gauge wire I think, with a red and black
wire and then copper twisted around the red and black wire all within a
mesh material.

I went to the store the other day to buy a replacement wire and bought
a 6 gauge 2 wire piece thinking that the twisted copper was the ground,
but after closer analysis, I don't think it was a ground wire at all.
Is this possible? I think the wire had a common (twisted wire) and two
hot wires. Should I have bought the 6 gauge 3 wire instead?

Do oven lines have a ground? Or do they now and didn't back then? Not a
professional as you can probabley tell.

Thanks...