Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do you use anti-backlash rings?

How are you supposed to use these tools?
http://www.jlindustrial.com/ERT-2200...D/product.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 12, 7:01 pm, "Stupendous Man" wrote:
How are you supposed to use these tools?http://www.jlindustrial.com/ERT-2200...D/product.html

Well, for $300 I wouldn't use them.(I'd make my own from scrap one at
a time only as needed, the chances of needing all 48 in a lifetime
seems slim) But as the description sort of implies, "SOFT JAW ANTI-
BACKLASH RING SET" they are used to pre-load the scroll and chuck body
when machining soft jaws on a lathe chuck. They would work best when
machining a step in the jaws, the ring is placed as far towards the
head stock as possible, the chuck tightened and then the accessible
portion of the jaws machined to run true (and probably fit a specific
work piece)

Jay
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:01:41 -0800, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

How are you supposed to use these tools?
http://www.jlindustrial.com/ERT-2200...D/product.html

Fit soft jaws to your chuck. Adjust until close to the diameter to be
bored to suit job. Pick the ring closest to the current internal
diameter at the rear of the jaws. Clamp the jaws down on the ring.
Bore jaws to suit job. Remove ring. Clamp jaws on the job. Turn!
I leave it to you to determine how to add an additional procedure if
the job diameter needs to pass through the chuck jaws.

--

Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 13 Jan, 03:01, "Stupendous Man" wrote:
How are you supposed to use these tools?http://www.jlindustrial.com/ERT-2200...D/product.html

Putting a ring in the back of the jaws and boring the front will not
be accurate as it does not take the front to back play out the jaws.
Better to put three pins in the c`bore of the holding screws and grip
the ring inside these for internal boring.You then bore the jaws
through the hole in the ring.
That particular set is not much use as the centre hole is too
small.There are people who sell the proper sets though for about
$300,or you can buy a tool which has three pins on a scroll so adjusts
to what ever size you need within its range.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 13 Jan, 11:53, wrote:
On 13 Jan, 03:01, "Stupendous Man" wrote:

How are you supposed to use these tools?http://www.jlindustrial.com/ERT-2200...D/product.html

Putting a ring in the back of the jaws and boring the front will not
be accurate as it does not take the front to back play out the jaws.
Better to put three pins in the c`bore of the holding screws and grip
the ring inside these for internal boring.You then bore the jaws
through the hole in the ring.
That particular set is not much use as the centre hole is too
small.There are people who sell the proper sets though for about
$300,or you can buy a tool which has three pins on a scroll so adjusts
to what ever size you need within its range.

Here`s a link to one of the tools I was talking about.
http://www.workholding.com/acces_chuckadapt.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.workholding.com/acces_chuckadapt.html

Cool tool!
That how I thought they were used, usless for what I want.
The hard jaws of the universal chuck for the Graziano lathe had been
re-bored by a former employee (who didn't know that the chuck could be
adjusted) and is off by .0015 . Clamp long ground rod in it and it wobbles
unevenly, one way at the chuck and the other further out. I would like to
straighten it out, and dont have access to a decent tool post grinder.
Clamping some 1/4 inch aluminum bars between the angles on the jaws and
boring didn't improve it.

Any tips would be appreciated. This is a low buck, small production shop.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote:

How are you supposed to use these tools?
http://www.jlindustrial.com/ERT-2200...D/product.html

They are for boring soft jaws. I usually see them in CNC apps where the
chuck is hydraulic. How well do they work out on scroll chucks?

Wes