Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

Default Hardinge TM backlash adjustment procedure?

Gentlemen,

Can anyone offer a procedure for adjusting the table anti-backlash nuts
on a Hardinge TM?

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"axolotl" wrote in message

Gentlemen,

Can anyone offer a procedure for adjusting the table anti-backlash nuts
on a Hardinge TM?

Thanks,

The bronze nut sets for the Hardinge mill
The "X"&"Y" are 2 sets of nuts .... "X" nut is a two piece R.H.ACME
thread..one part of the nut is set in the cast iron nut housing dimpled with
a 3/16 drill then locked in position by a dog point set set screw ...then
the second part of the nut (backlash adjusting)is screw into the nut housing
then the table lead screw is screwed into the two bronze nuts you finish
assembling the machine...(The "Y" nut is L.H. and it is installed the same
way as the "X" axis.)
Once that is done..you adjust the backlash part of the nut out to eliminate
the excess backlash in the lead screw..
The lead screws are harden ..with the most wear area in the middle section
of travel.. so I adjust the backlash nut tighter on the end section of the
lead screw travel then give a finial adjustment later on, once things take a
set...
This is a very simple repair to perform...and just about taken all the slop
out of the lead screw / dial.
If you are interested you can contact me...
Regards,
Robbie
I copied and pasted this from the Hardinge TM yahoo group. I hope it helps.
It really is a simple adjust, at least for the X axis.

--
Tom Wait
Barton Rifle Shop

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

I just bought a hardinge UM with a small self powered vertical head, I will
be picking it up monday, seems like a nice little mill.
"axolotl" wrote in message

Gentlemen,

Can anyone offer a procedure for adjusting the table anti-backlash nuts on
a Hardinge TM?

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

Tom Wait wrote:
"X" nut is a two piece R.H.ACME
thread..one part of the nut is set in the cast iron nut housing dimpled with
a 3/16 drill then locked in position by a dog point set set screw ...then
the second part of the nut (backlash adjusting)is screw into the nut housing
then the table lead screw is screwed into the two bronze nuts you finish
assembling the machine...

Thanks, Tom. It was this description on the Yahoo group that caused me
to ask the question. My 1947 model isn't like that, and I didn't want to
take a chance of screwing it up. I went ahead and did it; simple: back
off the (RH) locking ring, snug up the brass insert for the best
compromise, and tighten the locking ring.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

wayne mak wrote:
I just bought a hardinge UM with a small self powered vertical head, I will
be picking it up monday, seems like a nice little mill.

I think you will be happy. The folks here and on the Yahoo Hardinge Mill
group have been invaluable in getting mine running.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 16:55:46 -0500, axolotl
wrote:

wayne mak wrote:
I just bought a hardinge UM with a small self powered vertical head, I will
be picking it up monday, seems like a nice little mill.

I think you will be happy. The folks here and on the Yahoo Hardinge Mill
group have been invaluable in getting mine running.

Kevin Gallimore

Ive got the maint and parts manual. If I remember..Ill scan it and
post it.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Tom Wait, Garth wrote:
Hey buddy can you call me at 203-444-6477 I would really appreciate your help
on helping me take the slop out in my Hardinge TM mill

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...re-479312-.htm