Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impressive

http://www.setzstock.de/motor/

And here I thought I couldn't build motors because I lacked metalworking
skill -- obviously it's 'cause I don't speak German well enough!

I wanna see the plane this is going into...

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
http://www.setzstock.de/motor/

And here I thought I couldn't build motors because I lacked metalworking
skill -- obviously it's 'cause I don't speak German well enough!

I wanna see the plane this is going into...

You can build nice engines if you speak English, this guy speaks the
Queens English mind you. http://www.enginehistory.org/merlin_xx.htm and
http://www.modelenginenews.org/galle...gle/index.html . Shame it
didn't go in this
http://blogs.aviation.ca/index.php/s...el_masterpiece
as they are the same scale. I read somewhere that Barrington Hares may
have built his own milling machine which he then used to build the RR
Merlin.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
http://www.setzstock.de/motor/

And here I thought I couldn't build motors because I lacked metalworking
skill -- obviously it's 'cause I don't speak German well enough!

I wanna see the plane this is going into...

This one is also quite impressive and the engine is fitted to the car.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9f6YxAvcxhU
http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgbbs&exiturl=http://youtube.com/watch%3Fv=9f6YxAvcxhU
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
http://www.setzstock.de/motor/

And here I thought I couldn't build motors because I lacked metalworking
skill -- obviously it's 'cause I don't speak German well enough!

I wanna see the plane this is going into...

It's probably too valuable to ever leave the
earth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:37:40 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
http://www.setzstock.de/motor/

And here I thought I couldn't build motors because I lacked metalworking
skill -- obviously it's 'cause I don't speak German well enough!

I wanna see the plane this is going into...

This one is also quite impressive and the engine is fitted to the car.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9f6YxAvcxhU
http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgbbs&exiturl=http://youtube.com/watch%3Fv=9f6YxAvcxhU

A friend of mine has completed a Bentley and is now building a scale
Merlin.
He is an EXCELLENT pilot (aerobatic champ and all that) as well as an
excellent machinist and a perfectionist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

http://www.setzstock.de/motor/

And here I thought I couldn't build motors because I lacked
metalworking skill -- obviously it's 'cause I don't speak German well
enough!

I wanna see the plane this is going into...

It's probably too valuable to ever leave the
earth.

Yes, but I've seen some of these engines run at the NAMES show.
There was a guy with a 4-cyl in-line Bentley model that ran
nicely, but another guy had a 4-cyl rotary of his own design
that was a total screamer, turning a 12"+ prop at over 7000 RPM.
I was worried that people were standing to the side of this
thing and if it lost a prop blade there would be a BIG mess to
clean up. Fortunately, no such thing happened.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Jim Stewart wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

http://www.setzstock.de/motor/

And here I thought I couldn't build motors because I lacked metalworking
skill -- obviously it's 'cause I don't speak German well enough!

I wanna see the plane this is going into...

It's probably too valuable to ever leave the
earth.

Yes, but I've seen some of these engines run at the NAMES show.
There was a guy with a 4-cyl in-line Bentley model that ran nicely, but
another guy had a 4-cyl rotary of his own design that was a total
screamer, turning a 12"+ prop at over 7000 RPM.
I was worried that people were standing to the side of this thing and if
it lost a prop blade there would be a BIG mess to clean up. Fortunately,
no such thing happened.

Jon

Hi Jon

I was under the impression that Rotary (radial) engines needed to be an
odd number of cylinders. Have I remembered this wrong??

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jerry wrote:

Yes, but I've seen some of these engines run at the NAMES show.
There was a guy with a 4-cyl in-line Bentley model that ran nicely, but
another guy had a 4-cyl rotary of his own design that was a total
screamer, turning a 12"+ prop at over 7000 RPM.
I was worried that people were standing to the side of this thing and if
it lost a prop blade there would be a BIG mess to clean up. Fortunately,
no such thing happened.

Jon

Hi Jon

I was under the impression that Rotary (radial) engines needed to be an
odd number of cylinders. Have I remembered this wrong??

Well, most radials of the Pratt & Whitney variety were based on
7 or 9 cyls. per bank, but there really is no reason it has to
be that way. It may balance more easily or run a little
smoother that way, but there's no reason it has to be like that.

This guy's rotary was nothing like the traditional rotary
engines, though, I think the pistons were linked to the "crank"
by a cam and a roller bearing. The pistons clattered against
the cam when turning it over by hand, they apparently needed
centrifugal force to hold them out against the cam.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

And here I thought I couldn't build motors because I lacked metalworking
skill -- obviously it's 'cause I don't speak German well enough!

Yes, he's quite nuts. It is not a model, the one he is currently building is
1:1. And he also attempts to get the permit of the "Luftfahrtbundesamt"
(the flight agency) for use in planes (we do have *very* strict laws).

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de