Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone convert horizontal / vertical bandsaw to stand mount?

Is there a way to mound a horizontal bandsaw on a stand? Obviously,
this means not using the bolt-on legs that come with it. Any preferences
as to a source for the stand?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Is there a way to mound a horizontal bandsaw on a stand? Obviously,
this means not using the bolt-on legs that come with it. Any preferences
as to a source for the stand?

I put mine on a Craftsman roll-around tool cart. It's on risers
(two lengths of 3"-square steel tubing) with a chip tray under it.

What's nice about using the tool cart is that I can keep the saw
in an out-of-the way place when it's not in use, then pull it out
a bit when I need to use it. Or wheel it into the middle of the
floor when I need lots of room to work in.

Tove
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Is there a way to mound a horizontal bandsaw on a stand? Obviously,
this means not using the bolt-on legs that come with it. Any preferences
as to a source for the stand?

I did this once upon a time. I don't remember what I used for the actual
horizontal surface but I remember I had to bevel cut 4 little pieces of
angle iron and weld them to the stand, to bolt to the inside of the saw's
base casting.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 8, 10:16*am, Louis Ohland wrote:
* *Is there a way to mound a horizontal bandsaw on a stand? Obviously,
this means not using the bolt-on legs that come with it. Any preferences
as to a source for the stand?

I replaced the junk wheels with lawnmower wheels and connected their
axle bolts with threaded rod, and that extra reinforcement stiffened
the base quite a bit.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My slightly larger one has a saw table that bolts on.
One raises it to 90 and lock it down there. bolt on.
Liquid is a bit like not available in that mode.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Louis Ohland wrote:
Is there a way to mound a horizontal bandsaw on a stand? Obviously,
this means not using the bolt-on legs that come with it. Any preferences
as to a source for the stand?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 8, 9:16*am, Louis Ohland wrote:
* *Is there a way to mound a horizontal bandsaw on a stand? Obviously,
this means not using the bolt-on legs that come with it. Any preferences
as to a source for the stand?

I have seen a number of alternative setups that I liked.

One was the enclosure of the typical four leg setup with plywood/metal
so the stand is enclosed with one side being a door. It made the stand
rigid and the storage space was welcomed (a shop can never have too
much storage).

Another novel method was to mount the saw on the leg of a workbench so
the saw hung downward closed. That allowed the user to optimize the
floor space the saw took....but not very portable.

I have also seen the saw mounted on the wall with a hinge so the saw
was folded down to store and folded up where a leg would swing down
for support...again the approach for a space challenged shop.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
Is there a way to mound a horizontal bandsaw on a stand? Obviously,
this means not using the bolt-on legs that come with it. Any preferences
as to a source for the stand?

I welded up a stand for mine out of rectangular tubing. It was one of the
better afternoon projects
I've done. As you've obviously discovered, the stand that comes with the
saw is worthless. My
welded stand turned it into a much more useful tool. I have a pair of 6"
wheels on one end and
legs and a handle on the other, so it is easy to move around. And I made a
pair of wooden
stands the same height as the table of the saw to support long tubing. All
and all, it makes for
a very satisfactory system.

Jerry