Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

Default Convert TV to Stand

Do it.

I made a 'front loading toy chest' years ago from a 25" console TV for my 2-year-old.
Twelve years later it's still in his closet holding the latest assortment of what he's into. My wife was instantly pleased at how much could be stuffed in there, and it still keeps down the scattering.

If you don't like the results, you're out what - a couple of hours enjoying making sawdust? Small price to pay. There will also likely be some goodies to play with - 3 nice lenses and some plexiglas screens, of which one may be polarized (I'm presuming projection TV). Plus, you already know what the finish looks like - if you can look at it for 14 years, it can't be that bad.... If all else fails, it'll be light enough after you gut it that you can junk it without help. Leave it unplugged long enough for the capacitors to discharge before you start!

The lower height makes sense. As it is, it's probably thin compared to the height, and would tend to be top-heavy. It's a big footprint so make sure it's tall enough to be usable without just being in the way.

(-- Bill - Thanks for your comment, I hope to be remembered in the same way.)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I've got an old 61" Sony TV I've been trying to fix for the past
month. Looks like the end of the road - two of the picture tubes are
shorted out. It's OK, we watched it for 14 years, it doesn't owe us
any money.

The dead TV is big - it weighs about 200 pounds. I had to pay
piano
movers to bring it into my house when we moved. Now I have to pay
somebody to haul it out. And I have to buy a stand for the new TV.
They
ain't cheap.

Then I had an idea - the old TV is not only electronics, it's also
a decent
piece of furniture. Why not yank all the electronics, cut it down and
make a stand out of it? The hard stuff - the substructure and wheels
- is already done. I would cut the sides at about 20 inches from the
floor, pop the top off and refasten it to the sides. There would
surely be enough wood left to put in an internal shelf or two for
equipment.

It's not the nicest wood - veneer-coated particle board, painted
black. And
I will have to cut the sides down with a circular saw. I figure I'll
clamp a
guide so I can just run the saw along it - first just a sixteenth of
an inch deep
to cut cleanly through the veneer.

Anybody done anything like this?

- Jerry Kaidor

big snip
My dad couldn't throw anything away either. The "storage unit" is in
his basement. Fortunately, it was never under direct light. I think all
of the jars from the baby-food I ate are storing nuts and screws in the
garage too. Did I mention that you can make funnels from plastic milk and
orange juice containers?--and the other end gives you something to grow
plants in. You only get at most one dad though and my dad was an artist with
an imagination. I am sorry to say that he passed away two months ago.

Peace,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 28, 4:19 am, wrote:
Do it.

I made a 'front loading toy chest' years ago from a 25" console TV for my 2-year-old.
Twelve years later it's still in his closet holding the latest assortment of what he's into. My wife was instantly pleased at how much could be stuffed in there, and it still keeps down the scattering.

If you don't like the results, you're out what - a couple of hours enjoying making sawdust? Small price to pay. There will also likely be some goodies to play with - 3 nice lenses and some plexiglas screens, of which one may be polarized (I'm presuming projection TV).

*** 61" rear-projection. There is a full-size sheet of 1/8"
plexiglas, a mint-condition 61"
Fresnel lens, a BOATLOAD of nice electronic parts ( Set was made in
1993, stuff was not
quite as specialized then as now, the parts have actual wire leads ).
And I have the service
manual, so I know what all the parts are.

Plus, you already know what the finish looks like - if you can look at
it for 14 years, it can't be that bad.... If all else fails,
it'll be light enough after you gut it that you can junk it without
help. Leave it unplugged long enough for the capacitors to discharge
before you start!

*** They discharge in about 10 seconds. It was a VERY well-designed
TV.

The lower height makes sense. As it is, it's probably thin compared to the height, and would tend to be top-heavy. It's a big footprint so make sure it's tall enough to be usable without just being in the way.

*** It's quite stable, because the rear wheels are on an extension
behind. I chose the height by
researching the height of current stands for the latest generation of
TV sets, specifically the
stand that Sony makes for the set I intend to buy. The new sets are a
lot lighter than the older
ones were. 100 pounds instead of 300.

There is a pair of small bass-reflex speaker boxes built into the
bottom, which I shall probably
have to remove, because I need the space for equipment. If I can get
at least 4 standard-size
electronic items in there ( Sat receiver, DVD player, Audio receiver )
I can eliminate the free
standing equipment rack over there in the corner.

- Jerry Kaidor

wrote in message

[...]

Bill- Hide quoted text -