Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default anodizing kits?

Can someone suggest an anodizing kit that would get me all the basic
startup supplies for a couple of colors? Thinking clear, black, red,
blue would be a good starting point. Got a favorite supplier? Spent
some quality time with google but if anyone here has a preferred one
that's useful info to me.

THanks,
Dave Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz wrote:

Can someone suggest an anodizing kit that would get me all the basic
startup supplies for a couple of colors? Thinking clear, black, red,
blue would be a good starting point. Got a favorite supplier? Spent
some quality time with google but if anyone here has a preferred one
that's useful info to me.

THanks,
Dave Hinz

The stuff from Ron Newman worked well for me, perfect results on the
first test piece. Used to be at http://www.focuser.com/anodize.html but
don't seem to be able to get there at present. The stuff from Caswell
also has had good reviews but I haven't used their stuff. There is / was
an anodizing group on groups.yahoo.com with good info, but I haven't
followed it lately.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 17:15:44 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

Can someone suggest an anodizing kit that would get me all the basic
startup supplies for a couple of colors? Thinking clear, black, red,
blue would be a good starting point. Got a favorite supplier? Spent
some quality time with google but if anyone here has a preferred one
that's useful info to me.

THanks,
Dave Hinz

The stuff from Ron Newman worked well for me, perfect results on the
first test piece. Used to be at http://www.focuser.com/anodize.html but
don't seem to be able to get there at present. The stuff from Caswell
also has had good reviews but I haven't used their stuff. There is / was
an anodizing group on groups.yahoo.com with good info, but I haven't
followed it lately.

Caswell's stuff works fine. I expect the stuff sold by Caswell and by
Newman are very similar if not identical, though Newman offers
different power supplies.

Newman's web page is still up, and is an excellent resource.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Can someone suggest an anodizing kit that would get me all the basic
startup supplies for a couple of colors? Thinking clear, black, red,
blue would be a good starting point. Got a favorite supplier? Spent
some quality time with google but if anyone here has a preferred one
that's useful info to me.

THanks,
Dave Hinz

www.caswellplating.com/kits/

I've never used them, just have the website bookmarked and have drooled on
the stuff for a while...if you try them, let us know how they are to work
with.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 18:58:17 -0600, "The Davenport's"
wrote:

Can someone suggest an anodizing kit that would get me all the basic
startup supplies for a couple of colors? Thinking clear, black, red,
blue would be a good starting point. Got a favorite supplier? Spent
some quality time with google but if anyone here has a preferred one
that's useful info to me.

THanks,
Dave Hinz

www.caswellplating.com/kits/

I've never used them, just have the website bookmarked and have drooled on
the stuff for a while...if you try them, let us know how they are to work
with.

Mike

I've been using their stuff for about 10 years: zinc, copper, nickel
(both electroless and electrolytic), tin, blackening and anodizing.
It's easy to do, the directions are excellent and the results are
excellent if you follow the directions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz wrote:
Can someone suggest an anodizing kit that would get me all the basic
startup supplies for a couple of colors? Thinking clear, black, red,
blue would be a good starting point. Got a favorite supplier? Spent
some quality time with google but if anyone here has a preferred one
that's useful info to me.

THanks,
Dave Hinz

I remember reading an article or website once of a home shop guy that
used laundry dye for colored anodizing. I'll try to remember to look
through my bookmarks here and at work.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy Replogle wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

Can someone suggest an anodizing kit that would get me all the basic
startup supplies for a couple of colors? Thinking clear, black, red,
blue would be a good starting point. Got a favorite supplier? Spent
some quality time with google but if anyone here has a preferred one
that's useful info to me.

THanks,
Dave Hinz

I remember reading an article or website once of a home shop guy that
used laundry dye for colored anodizing. I'll try to remember to look
through my bookmarks here and at work.
Randy

RIT dye from the Grocery store.

After the part has been in the anodizing tank an appropriate while, it
goes into the dye for a soak, then gets boiled to set the color into the
surface.

Caswell has a sterling reputation, and if you are starting out and
wish success right off, with a minimum of fuss, you could do a lot worse
than to use their kit to get going.

You WILL require a lage DC power supply, if the parts are of any size.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:19:47 GMT, Randy Replogle
wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:
Can someone suggest an anodizing kit that would get me all the basic
startup supplies for a couple of colors? Thinking clear, black, red,
blue would be a good starting point. Got a favorite supplier? Spent
some quality time with google but if anyone here has a preferred one
that's useful info to me.

THanks,
Dave Hinz

I remember reading an article or website once of a home shop guy that
used laundry dye for colored anodizing. I'll try to remember to look
through my bookmarks here and at work.
Randy

RIT works after a fashion, except for black. It doesn't work nearly
as well as the "real" dyes sold by Caswell and the other guy. This is
especially true of black.

Some alloys anodize and "take" dye better than others. There's good
guidance to be found from the websites cited.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:46:38 GMT, Trevor Jones
wrote:

You WILL require a lage DC power supply, if the parts are of any size.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Good anodizing can be done at lower current density. It just takes
longer. Caswell has a discussion of LCD (low current density)
anodizing in his plating manual.

A constant-current supply works best. It isn't difficult to make a
current regulator to run off of something like a battery charger.

I will note that my experience is limited to smaller projects, stuff
that will fit in a 2-gallon or 5-gallon bucket. I don't think I've
ever needed more than 5 amps.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You WILL require a lage DC power supply, if the parts are of any size.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Good anodizing can be done at lower current density. It just takes
longer. Caswell has a discussion of LCD (low current density)
anodizing in his plating manual.

A constant-current supply works best. It isn't difficult to make a
current regulator to run off of something like a battery charger.

I will note that my experience is limited to smaller projects, stuff
that will fit in a 2-gallon or 5-gallon bucket. I don't think I've
ever needed more than 5 amps.

We had an anodizing set-up at the College I went to, back in '99-2k.

They were using pretty large currents and we had to do the surface
calcs as part of the process.

Not been involved, otherwise.

Nice to know it can be done on the low current.

Could open that up as an option for some projects down the line.

Thanks!

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

Bright dayglow pink is a fascinating anodizing color, particularly
when applied to firearms. Seen two of them this year. One being a AR,
the other being a Mod 59 S&W(with mauve grip panels..very
tasteful.....)

Both owned by women btw.
Thank Crom.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:46:38 GMT, Trevor Jones wrote:

Caswell has a sterling reputation, and if you are starting out and
wish success right off, with a minimum of fuss, you could do a lot worse
than to use their kit to get going.
You WILL require a lage DC power supply, if the parts are of any size.

Thanks, sounds like Caswell it is then. Prices are certainly
reasonable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

much snippage anodizing

Some alloys anodize and "take" dye better than others. There's good
guidance to be found from the websites cited.

Bright dayglow pink is a fascinating anodizing color, particularly
when applied to firearms. Seen two of them this year. One being a AR,
the other being a Mod 59 S&W(with mauve grip panels..very
tasteful.....)

Both owned by women btw.
Thank Crom.

Gunner

Ya know, Gunner...if you think about, it's STILL a little creepy to think of
those weapons with THOSE colors.

Misters Smith and Wesson would be rolling in their graves!

(:

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos shoed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:19:18 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I remember reading an article or website once of a home shop guy that
used laundry dye for colored anodizing. I'll try to remember to look
through my bookmarks here and at work.
Randy

RIT works after a fashion, except for black. It doesn't work nearly
as well as the "real" dyes sold by Caswell and the other guy. This is
especially true of black.

Some alloys anodize and "take" dye better than others. There's good
guidance to be found from the websites cited.

Bright dayglow pink is a fascinating anodizing color, particularly
when applied to firearms. Seen two of them this year. One being a AR,
the other being a Mod 59 S&W(with mauve grip panels..very
tasteful.....)

Last year I had to replace my MP3 player. I could get the black
one for $54, or the pink one for $34. My manhood not being threatened
by bright colors, I got the $34 one.

Both owned by women btw.

Thank Crom.

Yes, indeedy. Let us be thankful for women.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Spend $1 more on a can of spray paint.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos shoed that "Pete C."
wrote on Sun, 06 Jan 2008 17:50:50 -0600 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Why?

It was for work, and I already had a handy slot in the belt pouch.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "
Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD
(A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

* RIT dye from the Grocery store.

* After the part has been in the anodizing tank an appropriate while, it
goes into the dye for a soak, then gets boiled to set the color into the
* surface.

* Cheers
* *Trevor Jones

I tried Rit navy blue dye on some aluminum castings and it seemed to
work at first, but I noticed that the color had a tendency to fade
after several weeks exposure to sunlight. Just as a test, another
piece from the same alloy was anodized and then left on the dashboard
of the truck, but after about 3 weeks the color was almost gone. I
don't know if ordinary room light over a longer period of time would
cause fading, but fabric dye (or at least Navy Blue) does not look
like a good choice for parts that will be exposed to UV light.

Mike

Anodizing MJC Metalworking 3 January 30th 05 01:50 PM
So. Cal anodizing shops? Gunner Metalworking 7 January 1st 05 11:20 PM
Anodizing question JCTLMKR Metalworking 3 December 20th 04 05:42 PM
Anodizing question? gglines Metalworking 3 August 27th 04 01:45 AM
Anodizing Questions c Metalworking 4 July 23rd 03 04:40 AM