Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Brown & Sharpe 99-1033 digital indicator

Hi.
Just received the B&S digital dial indicator that I won on EBAY.
Didn't know much about it, but now I see it requires an AC power
adapter/battery charger, which of course, were not included in the
sale.

Looks like it uses a standard coaxial power plug. I have searched the
WWW, but no mention of the specs of the power adapter. Can anyone help
here?

It's also missing the tip of the plunger, but I can get or make one of
those.

TIA

Paul in Central Oregon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 19, 3:42 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
writes:
I have searched the
WWW, but no mention of the specs of the power adapter. Can anyone help
here?

These were typically 5VDC with + in the center. If you don't have a
variable power supply to experiment with, you might get one of the switch-
configurable ones from Radio Shack and step it up until it works.

Thanks, Richard. I will try that when I get to the plant tomorrow.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

writes:
I have searched the
WWW, but no mention of the specs of the power adapter. Can anyone help
here?

These were typically 5VDC with + in the center. If you don't have a
variable power supply to experiment with, you might get one of the switch-
configurable ones from Radio Shack and step it up until it works.

Thanks, Richard. I will try that when I get to the plant tomorrow.

Paul

Well, no luck with the power adapter. So, I disassembled the unit.
Front half comes off easily after removing 3 microscopic screws! All
looks ok until I finally spotted the battery. Has lots of gray hairs
all over one end.

I let my general manager continue the disassembly, appropriately ESD
protected, and he pulled a circuit board and the battery. A 4 cell NmH
unit from Varta. It had only a single operating cell. The rest were
dead short. A google search turned up the Battery Station with the
replacement for $10.00. Should have a new battery by next year. Then
we can move on to the next step to see if it still will work.

Will let you know the result.

Paul