Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default keeping sheet metal roll rolls from rusting?

I am nearly done restoring an old sheet metal roll. I chucked up the rolls
in the lathe and used 3M pads to remove the oxide so they are once again
clean and shiny looking. But they're just steel, and furthermore it would
seem to me that putting oil (or wax) on them would make them less effective
at gripping a sheet to force it against the 3rd roller to roll it.

So what to do? Make a cover for it and always keep it slightly heated? Or
go ahead and wax anyway with Johnson's? Use LPS-1 every so often but clean
them before using?

trying to not reinvent the wheel here ..

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote in
:

I am nearly done restoring an old sheet metal roll. I chucked up the
rolls in the lathe and used 3M pads to remove the oxide so they are
once again clean and shiny looking. But they're just steel, and
furthermore it would seem to me that putting oil (or wax) on them
would make them less effective at gripping a sheet to force it against
the 3rd roller to roll it.

So what to do? Make a cover for it and always keep it slightly heated?
Or go ahead and wax anyway with Johnson's? Use LPS-1 every so often
but clean them before using?

trying to not reinvent the wheel here ..

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Sawblade wax

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 8, 11:05 am, Grant Erwin wrote:
I am nearly done restoring an old sheet metal roll. I chucked up the rolls
in the lathe and used 3M pads to remove the oxide so they are once again
clean and shiny looking. But they're just steel, and furthermore it would
seem to me that putting oil (or wax) on them would make them less effective
at gripping a sheet to force it against the 3rd roller to roll it.

So what to do? Make a cover for it and always keep it slightly heated? Or
go ahead and wax anyway with Johnson's? Use LPS-1 every so often but clean
them before using?

trying to not reinvent the wheel here ..

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Some or all of the above. I use Simichrome polish occasionally on the
rollers of my jeweler's rolling mill to keep them polished and
bright. At the end of the working day, I spritz them with whatever
spray lube is at hand, usually good 'ol WD40. Then I have a heavy
cloth semi-saturated with Breakfree/CLP that I drape over the mill. A
cut-off tee shirt goes over that to keep off the shop dust.

Before using it, I do a quick wipe with a soft cloth to take off any
excess lube.

This regime seems to work, I've had the mill almost 10 years and the
rollers are still bright and shiny. I had it in storage for almost a
year in a non-controlled environment, and all I did different was
spray the rollers and gears with Breakfree before packing it up. It
came out fine.

Regards,

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 8, 1:05 pm, Grant Erwin wrote:
I am nearly done restoring an old sheet metal roll. I chucked up the rolls
in the lathe and used 3M pads to remove the oxide so they are once again
clean and shiny looking. But they're just steel, and furthermore it would
seem to me that putting oil (or wax) on them would make them less effective
at gripping a sheet to force it against the 3rd roller to roll it.

So what to do? Make a cover for it and always keep it slightly heated? Or
go ahead and wax anyway with Johnson's? Use LPS-1 every so often but clean
them before using?

trying to not reinvent the wheel here ..

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

I use this stuff: http://www.picklex.com/products.htm and it seems to
work for me.

Hope this helps.

Lewis

*****
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 05:05:58 +1000, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I am nearly done restoring an old sheet metal roll. I chucked up the
rolls
in the lathe and used 3M pads to remove the oxide so they are once again
clean and shiny looking. But they're just steel, and furthermore it would
seem to me that putting oil (or wax) on them would make them less
effective
at gripping a sheet to force it against the 3rd roller to roll it.

So what to do? Make a cover for it and always keep it slightly heated? Or
go ahead and wax anyway with Johnson's? Use LPS-1 every so often but
clean
them before using?

trying to not reinvent the wheel here ..

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Store the rolls in an alkaline solution of baking soda: it works for
steel wool and ball bearings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:

So what to do? Make a cover for it and always keep it slightly heated? Or
go ahead and wax anyway with Johnson's? Use LPS-1 every so often but clean
them before using?

My wooddorking tools tables have held up well using Johnson Paste Wax but
I'm not in the Pacific North West.

Try wax and test your rolls after it has time to dry.

Wes

Keeping Walls Clean - clear plexiglass sheet? none Metalworking 11 May 29th 06 05:11 PM
Intentionally rusting metal... Jerry Foster Metalworking 31 February 8th 06 02:47 AM
WTB Used Metal Shrinker for sheet metal work. Ebby Metalworking 0 May 21st 05 02:09 PM
sheet metal Rich Woodworking 11 January 26th 05 04:07 AM
Metal working tools for sheet metal... slightly different take than usual John Kelly Metalworking 0 November 12th 03 01:06 PM