Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Automatic Transmission salvage

Well it's really an automatic transaxle. 1990 Nissan Maxima.

I'm harvesting the parts mainly to add to my metric nut/bolt collection and
for the aluminum castings.

Question:
1) I slipped off the torque converter (weighs a ton) and was wondering if
there are any usable parts inside? Is it worth the effort to hacksaw it
apart? Are there any artsy/fartsy pieces inside (my wife likes to do art
welding)? Any clues appreciated.
2) If I cut (plasma) the aluminum for future melting, what is an optimum
size? Do I clean off the grease or sand blast first?

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 04:13:52 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ivan
Vegvary" quickly quoth:

Well it's really an automatic transaxle. 1990 Nissan Maxima.

I'm harvesting the parts mainly to add to my metric nut/bolt collection and
for the aluminum castings.

Question:
1) I slipped off the torque converter (weighs a ton) and was wondering if
there are any usable parts inside? Is it worth the effort to hacksaw it
apart?

No, until you mentioned your wife's penchant.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter2.htm

Are there any artsy/fartsy pieces inside (my wife likes to do art
welding)? Any clues appreciated.

Could be! She'll love the valve body, too. Disassemble that and you're
looking at the inside of a man-made ant farm. g
http://www.jasperengines.com/media/vbwashing.jpg

2) If I cut (plasma) the aluminum for future melting, what is an optimum
size? Do I clean off the grease or sand blast first?

Only if you're afraid of a silly little thing like FIRE!

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Well it's really an automatic transaxle. 1990 Nissan Maxima.

I'm harvesting the parts mainly to add to my metric nut/bolt collection and
for the aluminum castings.

Question:
1) I slipped off the torque converter (weighs a ton) and was wondering if
there are any usable parts inside? Is it worth the effort to hacksaw it
apart? Are there any artsy/fartsy pieces inside (my wife likes to do art
welding)? Any clues appreciated.
2) If I cut (plasma) the aluminum for future melting, what is an optimum
size? Do I clean off the grease or sand blast first?

Ivan Vegvary

Lotsa cool gears, shafts and hydraulic spools, 'n' stuff in a tranny.

Is it confirmed dead? It will be by the time you are done with it, but...

Dunno if Nissan was using Magnesium in their tranny housings. I know
that Ford did, so who knows. Test the stuff before you put a bunch of
effort into salvaging it to melt.

Scrape a clean area, and apply houshold vinegar. If it bubbles a bit
and turns a smutty purple-brown color, not good. Not for casting
purposes, anyway. :-)

I have done a couple "curiosity solving" forays into transmissions in
the past. Found out that there was less to go wrong in a manual trans,
than I thought.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message

Lotsa cool gears, shafts and hydraulic spools, 'n' stuff in a tranny.

Is it confirmed dead? It will be by the time you are done with it, but...

Hi Trevor,
Thanks for your insight! Yes, it is dead. Replaced it about a year ago
with a working tranny. Looking forward to the cool parts!

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan,

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message

Lotsa cool gears, shafts and hydraulic spools, 'n' stuff in a tranny.

Is it confirmed dead? It will be by the time you are done with it, but...

Hi Trevor,
Thanks for your insight! Yes, it is dead. Replaced it about a year ago
with a working tranny. Looking forward to the cool parts!

This is a '90 Maxima??? I have a Sentra of that same year - four speed
manual. Aside from needing another paint job[*], there is very little
wrong with it. The car has a job as long as it wants it.

Did you have any trouble getting parts? I have heard "can't get that" a
couple of times, but not in any critical areas. Most parts seem to be
readily available, but I am wondering when I might start having trouble.
[*] I don't (too much) mind what body shops charge - I very much mind
that they seem not to do the work they promise to do, at least in my
experience. My plan is to strip and prime myself, and then take it to
somebody to paint it. If they start over and do it right, great; if
they do what I have come to expect (light sand and start spraying), then
at least there will be a good primer underneath it. The car is largely
garage kept now, and with FL's drought, I appear to be able to take my
time, to a point.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 2, 9:13 pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Well it's really an automatic transaxle. 1990 Nissan Maxima.

I'm harvesting the parts mainly to add to my metric nut/bolt collection and
for the aluminum castings.

Question:
1) I slipped off the torque converter (weighs a ton) and was wondering if
there are any usable parts inside? Is it worth the effort to hacksaw it
apart? Are there any artsy/fartsy pieces inside (my wife likes to do art
welding)? Any clues appreciated.
2) If I cut (plasma) the aluminum for future melting, what is an optimum
size? Do I clean off the grease or sand blast first?

Ivan Vegvary

Unless it's a total loss, there's usually a substantial core price
that can be had from rebuilders of same. Anywhere from $100-500
depending on make, model and demand. Of course, if you've already
started whacking away at it, scrap price is all you can expect and you
might as well have your fun.

Stan