Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chips in the chuck

The scroll and jaws of the 3-jaw lathe chuck tend to get jammed with chips
and require a rather tedious cleaning every few hours of use. Is there
some trick to keeping the chips out?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:
The scroll and jaws of the 3-jaw lathe chuck tend to get jammed with
chips and require a rather tedious cleaning every few hours of use.
Is there some trick to keeping the chips out?

Compressed air .

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

The scroll and jaws of the 3-jaw lathe chuck tend to get jammed with
chips and require a rather tedious cleaning every few hours of use.
Is there some trick to keeping the chips out?

A cover plate for the hole, if the stock is short. A plastic collar if the
stock goes thru the spindle are about the only options, unless you can put
purge air on the chuck.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Richard J Kinch wrote:
The scroll and jaws of the 3-jaw lathe chuck tend to get jammed with
chips and require a rather tedious cleaning every few hours of use.
Is there some trick to keeping the chips out?

Compressed air .

Aaak!

Isn't the compressed air likely to drive the swarf deeper into places where
you don't want it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Kelly Jones" wrote in message
news

"Snag" wrote in message
Richard J Kinch wrote:
The scroll and jaws of the 3-jaw lathe chuck tend to get jammed with
chips and require a rather tedious cleaning every few hours of use.
Is there some trick to keeping the chips out?

Compressed air .

Aaak!

Isn't the compressed air likely to drive the swarf deeper into places
where you don't want it?

If that be the case, perhaps someone can explain to me why my 8" 3 jaw, put
in service in '67 on my Sag 12 Graziano, and used on a commercial basis for
16 years, is still functional quite well, thanks, having been dismantled
only a couple times for cleaning in all that time.

The use of air in the hands of someone that isn't a moron is one of the
finest of methods to keep chips away from where they are not desired.

The negative attitude of the use of air on machine tools is much like the
false value placed on Bridgeport mills (I own one, and have purchased two in
my years, so I'm entitled to have my opinion). Pretty much just a
housewife's tale, assuming care is taken for application.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Is there
some trick to keeping the chips out?

For some chucks, you can buy some neoprene-pieces that fit into the chuck's
slots for the jaws. Simple punched pieces about 3mm thick. You always can
make your own.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Richard J Kinch wrote:
[...]

Used with due care , it is the best method I've found . I also almost always
cut dry , drilling being the exception . Coolant introduces another whole
level to clearing swarf ...

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.. .

"Snag" wrote in message
Richard J Kinch wrote:
[...]

Coolant can serve to peform the chore as well----depending on circumstances.
A clean flood works amazingly well.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
.. .
"Snag" wrote in message
Richard J Kinch wrote:
[...]

Maybe when I have more room . A guy can only do so much in an 8X12 shed
out in the back yard ...
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
.. .
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

snip----

Used with due care , it is the best method I've found . I also almost
always cut dry , drilling being the exception . Coolant introduces
another whole level to clearing swarf ...

Coolant can serve to peform the chore as well----depending on
circumstances. A clean flood works amazingly well.

Harold

Maybe when I have more room . A guy can only do so much in an 8X12 shed
out in the back yard ...

Any danger of freezing?

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
.. .
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

snip----

Used with due care , it is the best method I've found . I also
almost always cut dry , drilling being the exception . Coolant
introduces another whole level to clearing swarf ...

Coolant can serve to peform the chore as well----depending on
circumstances. A clean flood works amazingly well.

Harold

Maybe when I have more room . A guy can only do so much in an 8X12
shed out in the back yard ...

Any danger of freezing?

Harold

Yup , I only heat while I'm out there . My wife must have some Scottish
ancestors , she's frugal ... make that VERY frugal .
I do keep a hundred watt light bulb burning 24/7 , helps with the
humidity but it won't keep it above freezing .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yup , I only heat while I'm out there . My wife must have some Scottish
ancestors , she's frugal ... make that VERY frugal .
I do keep a hundred watt light bulb burning 24/7 , helps with the
humidity but it won't keep it above freezing .

In my barn shop, I thin the coolant with anti freeze. Just the used stuff
from the cars. Works fine. 1:4 ratio gives about 0 freezepoint. That's
coldest my shop gets.

Karl

What to do with old chips [email protected] UK diy 2 September 3rd 07 11:01 AM
So what do you do with your planer chips? Frank Boettcher Woodworking 23 August 10th 07 07:23 AM
chips away Ed UK diy 8 November 19th 06 09:42 PM
SMD chips [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 July 1st 06 04:56 PM
OT - Chips Arthur UK diy 41 October 23rd 04 12:42 AM