Posted to rec.woodworking

Default So what do you do with your planer chips?

Had a few pieces of furniture to make, so went by the sawmill and
bought 70 bdft of cherry. Saw mill (also a friend) gives me two
prices, $1.50 if I take it as it comes off the stack, and he'll decide
later if I pick and choose. So I take it as it comes off the stack,
knowing my yield will be about 50-60%

Why do I always do that?

So I spend two days cutting to rough length, edge jointing, ripping to
get most of the cup out, face jointing, planing, then rejointing to
square it up, then ripping it true getting ready to glue up my panels,
working around knots, splits, sapwood, and thin spots where my buddy
got a little off with his portable sawmill.

I end up with my good wood, two five gallon buckets of fireplace
kindling, a bucket full of smoker chunks, a pile of shorts that will
be mixed with other species to become multi-color cutting boards, and
about a hundred gallons of chips from the machines, most of it planer
shavings, which make the most volume.

So what do you do with your chips?

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

Back where they came from. Fill a hole in the woods, or mulch your
garden, drop them off to a community garden they will love them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Boettcher wrote in
:

snip

So what do you do with your chips?

Frank

There's this big compost pile behind the shed in the back corner of the
property. That's where the hardwood chips go. Softwood goes onto the
parts of the garden that need mulching, and can be easily fertilized.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Frank Boettcher wrote:

So what do you do with your chips?

SWMBO uses them to mulch the veggie and flower gardens. Every now and again, I
wind up with more than she can use. When that happens, I offer them on
Freecycle, and they're usually gone within hours, and I have to turn many
people away emptyhanded. Some folks use them for animal bedding, some for
garden mulch. Some people stuff dolls. One of my customers is a seamstress;
she used the planer shavings from the sewing tables I made for her to stuff a
dressmaker's ham. I use them from time to time to soak up oil spills in the
garage if we don't have any kitty litter handy. The uses are almost endless.
:-)

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

[...]

Recycling and composting is mandatory here so my planer shavings are donated
to the municipality for their composting program.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a big bag of them that I use to "scrub" the finish remover off of
pieces that I am refinishing. I saw this on "The Furniture Guys" TV show. I
use biodegradable orange stripper so the used chips go to the local landfill
to use between trash layers. I also use them to clean up oil spills. Those I
use with a little paraffin wax and cupcake holders to make firestarters.

--
Gordon Parks
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote:

So what do you do with your chips?

Dumpster.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:06:15 -0500, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

So what do you do with your chips?

Frank

My neighbor is a Boy Scout leader. He takes then to make fire
starters as a group project.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

So what do you do with your chips?

Frank

Some I use with egg cartons and wax to make fire starters. Most ends up in
the landfill unfortunately. I'd like to use them as mulch or compost
but they suck the nitrogen right out of the ground so then you're stuck
fertilizing more. Seems like a catch 22 to me. I had 6 black trash bags
full of
sawdust/shavings that I recently had to pitch. Didn't like doing it but
didn't see too many other alternatives here.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Some I use with egg cartons and wax to make fire starters. Most ends up in
the landfill unfortunately. I'd like to use them as mulch or compost
but they suck the nitrogen right out of the ground so then you're stuck
fertilizing more. Seems like a catch 22 to me. I had 6 black trash bags
full of
sawdust/shavings that I recently had to pitch. Didn't like doing it but
didn't see too many other alternatives here.
Cheers,
cc

Patience, patience. If you can wait until the decomposition is done, the
nitrogen is (largely) returned to the soil.

I use them in my paths and move them onto the beds after they decompose.
Voila .. 'instant compost'.

Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000761-0, 07/27/2007
Tested on: 7/26/2007 11:00:33 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Had a few pieces of furniture to make, so went by the sawmill and

snip

So what do you do with your chips?

Frank

Chips are used for muddy walkways or added to the compost. A 50/50
mix of grass clippings and wood chips will quickly decompose.
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

I give mine, including sawdust from the table saw and trim saw, to my
neighbour by tossing them over the fence into his chicken run. It keeps the
mud down and gives the chickens something to scratch through. It disappears
into the dirt in a couple of weeks.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" writes:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .

So what do you do with your chips?

Frank

Some I use with egg cartons and wax to make fire starters. Most ends up in
the landfill unfortunately. I'd like to use them as mulch or compost
but they suck the nitrogen right out of the ground so then you're stuck
fertilizing more. Seems like a catch 22 to me. I had 6 black trash bags
full of
sawdust/shavings that I recently had to pitch. Didn't like doing it but
didn't see too many other alternatives here.

If you compost them first, they won't "suck nitrogen right out of the ground".

Compost them with grass, kitchen scraps, coffee grounds/filters, teabags,
fruit peels, etc. in a proper compost pile or composting container. Once composted
apply to lawns, gardens, etc.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:13:53 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

I give mine, including sawdust from the table saw and trim saw, to my
neighbour by tossing them over the fence into his chicken run. It keeps the
mud down and gives the chickens something to scratch through. It disappears
into the dirt in a couple of weeks.

I would love to give mine to my brother-in-law for his chickens, or
use them in the wife's guinea pig cage, but I worry about MDF and
plywood dust and chips that get mixed in.

Do you guys who use chips for animals do much with composites?

Am I worrying too much?

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I give mine, including sawdust from the table saw and trim saw, to my
neighbour by tossing them over the fence into his chicken run. It keeps
the
mud down and gives the chickens something to scratch through. It
disappears
into the dirt in a couple of weeks.

I would love to give mine to my brother-in-law for his chickens, or
use them in the wife's guinea pig cage, but I worry about MDF and
plywood dust and chips that get mixed in.

Do you guys who use chips for animals do much with composites?

Am I worrying too much?

As someone who gets (bad) allergic reactions from the dust from MDF and
plywood, it seems inhumane to me to directly expose any animals to the glue
dust. I think your "worrying" here is right on the mark.

Peace,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
et...

If you compost them first, they won't "suck nitrogen right out of the
ground".

Compost them with grass, kitchen scraps, coffee grounds/filters, teabags,
fruit peels, etc. in a proper compost pile or composting container. Once
composted
apply to lawns, gardens, etc.

scott

I haven't tried composting it first but I understand it takes an awfully
long time to compost? I may give that a go on the next project if it's
relatively quick. Composting here takes forever only for the fact that
we're very dry and I hate using our precious water to keep the pile moist.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

I haven't tried composting it first but I understand it takes an awfully
long time to compost? I may give that a go on the next project if it's
relatively quick. Composting here takes forever only for the fact that
we're very dry and I hate using our precious water to keep the pile moist.
Cheers,
cc

Where ya at? There's more than one way to defur this particular feline.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000761-2, 07/27/2007
Tested on: 7/28/2007 12:45:51 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" writes:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
. net...

If you compost them first, they won't "suck nitrogen right out of the
ground".

Compost them with grass, kitchen scraps, coffee grounds/filters, teabags,
fruit peels, etc. in a proper compost pile or composting container. Once
composted
apply to lawns, gardens, etc.

scott

I haven't tried composting it first but I understand it takes an awfully
long time to compost? I may give that a go on the next project if it's
relatively quick. Composting here takes forever only for the fact that
we're very dry and I hate using our precious water to keep the pile moist.
Cheers,
cc

Keep the pile enclosed. Home Depot, Lowes, OSH, etc. all carry composing
bins of various forms. Doesn't take much water, and works best in warmer
climes. I don't get rain from May through November. Use about 1/2 brown
(i.e. dry: leaves, sawdust, chips) to 1/2 green (grass, kitchen scraps (not meat
or fats), coffee grounds, teabags, etc). Mix weekly. Keep as moist as a
squeezed out sponge, only add water if the moisture level drops below this,
however you get a lot of moisture fom green grass and kitchen scraps. If
the worms find the pile (or you add them), things will work even faster.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Frank Boettcher wrote:

[...]

I have a friend that is a potter and uses them in a wood fired pit kiln

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

"BillinDetroit" wrote in message

Where ya at? There's more than one way to defur this particular feline.

Bill

--

New Mexico.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
et...

Keep the pile enclosed. Home Depot, Lowes, OSH, etc. all carry
composing
bins of various forms. Doesn't take much water, and works best in warmer
climes. I don't get rain from May through November. Use about 1/2 brown
(i.e. dry: leaves, sawdust, chips) to 1/2 green (grass, kitchen scraps
(not meat
or fats), coffee grounds, teabags, etc). Mix weekly. Keep as moist as a
squeezed out sponge, only add water if the moisture level drops below
this,
however you get a lot of moisture fom green grass and kitchen scraps. If
the worms find the pile (or you add them), things will work even faster.

scott

That might be an option. I built a composting bin but just gave up after
seeing just how much
water it took to keep it going. I'm seriously short on green as I don't cut
our grass (blue grama, more of a meadow
type grass that grows to 1-1 1/2 ft. tall) but I suppose I can figure
something out.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:33:57 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

That might be an option. I built a composting bin but just gave up after
seeing just how much
water it took to keep it going. I'm seriously short on green as I don't cut
our grass (blue grama, more of a meadow
type grass that grows to 1-1 1/2 ft. tall) but I suppose I can figure
something out.
Cheers,
cc

**** on it every day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

That might be an option. I built a composting bin but just gave up after
seeing just how much
water it took to keep it going. I'm seriously short on green as I don't cut
our grass (blue grama, more of a meadow
type grass that grows to 1-1 1/2 ft. tall) but I suppose I can figure
something out.
Cheers,
cc

**** on it every day.

Maybe not every day, don't want too much N. However, it does help to seed
a new pile.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
"BillinDetroit" wrote in message
Where ya at? There's more than one way to defur this particular feline.

Bill

--

New Mexico.

Drop 'em down a post hole along with kitchen scraps. When they get full,
cap 'em with a couple shovels full of whatever came out of the holes.
Make a pattern of the post holes fairly close together and pretty soon
you'll have a very fertile planting bed which will have enough organic
material in it to hold moisture really well. Sounds like that's
important to ya. ;-)

You might want to dig those holes with a soil auger or the next person
who comes up the driveway looking for a handout ^h^h^h^h^h^h^h work.
Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000764-3, 08/09/2007
Tested on: 8/10/2007 2:23:39 AM

chips away Ed UK diy 8 November 19th 06 09:42 PM
SMD chips [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 July 1st 06 04:56 PM
Planer, as in thickness planer: Wanted Jim Woodturning 2 August 23rd 05 12:20 AM
OT - Chips Arthur UK diy 41 October 23rd 04 12:42 AM
carbide planer blades for delta 22-580 (13" planer) todd the wood junkie Woodworking 6 September 10th 04 08:16 PM