Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic Bandsaw Feed cylinder oil fill level?

Hey guys,
can someone out there shed some light on how much oil should be put in
a Hydraulic Bandsaw downfeed cylinder.
This is the kind with the downfeed adjustment valve and the piston has
a quick
return bypass valve in it.
If I fill it slap full with oil it seems to lock up.
If I keep some air it's spongy.
What's the correct filling setup?
RichD, Atlanta
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RichD wrote:
Hey guys,
can someone out there shed some light on how much oil should be put in
a Hydraulic Bandsaw downfeed cylinder.
This is the kind with the downfeed adjustment valve and the piston has
a quick
return bypass valve in it.
If I fill it slap full with oil it seems to lock up.
If I keep some air it's spongy.
What's the correct filling setup?
RichD, Atlanta

Have you bled the system of air?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think most of the downfeed cylinders on imported bandsaws are pretty much
the same. I have a TurnPro 7x12, but I find myself referring to this manual
when I have questions:
http://content.wiltontool.com/manuals/m_3410.pdf
Look at page 20 and see if it helps.
GL,
Nok

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nok,
Thankyou for the link.
The cylinder on that saw is identical to this one.
The refill instructions most certainly will leave a little air inside
and that's
what makes it work.
The difference in top to bottom volumes is the trick.
Thanks, guys.
RichD, Atlanta