Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIG Torch wire

Hi!
I'm not familiar with TIG welding machines and I just bought one.

Is the wire used in TIG torches really thinner compared to those used
for Stick welding?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Okay thanks.

Can I replace only the wire with a thicker one? Or should I replace
the whole torch assembly?

On Nov 17, 12:07 am, David Billington
Hi!
I'm not familiar with TIG welding machines and I just bought one.

Is the wire used in TIG torches really thinner compared to those used
for Stick welding?

The torch lead can be much lighter on a water cooled torch as the water
flow prevents the the cable overheating normally, I say that as I have
seen one turned up too high and the lead smoked and melted and had to be
replaced, that surprised the kiddy as he was welding away and started
wondering what was burning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David,
The conductor from the machine to a TIG torch is not considered
replacable, since it's crimped inside of the gas hose. (It should be
called Argon cooled, not air cooled.) In reality, yes, they can be
fixed, assuming you have the time and tools. If I remember, you have
to cut the crimp ring that holds the hose in place, and then separate
the wire crimp.

But, there is something wrong here. If the conductor is broken, I can
see trying to fix it. But if it's melted, from too much current, then
the hose is shot also.

I put a water cooled torch on my machine, (which had an air cooled).
Wasn't much trouble. The conductor is in one of the water lines, so I
needed to connect all the brass adapters together. I built my own
water circulator, from ebay parts.
DJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi!

Thank you for your inputs.

I have another question regarding the TIG Torch... there's a button
on it.

Is this button used to control the amps of while simultaneously
welding or is it just an ON-OFF switch?