Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

Default Whjere to find an 11/16" - 8tpi LH Acme tap?

Anybody know where I can find an 11/16" - 8 LH Acme tap?
I need it to fix my lathe.
Thanks,
Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-12, Dan (Dan ) Dan wrote:
Anybody know where I can find an 11/16" - 8 LH Acme tap?
I need it to fix my lathe.
Thanks,
Dan

This stuff is hard to find. eBay does not have any.

I have a .629-9 ACME RH tap on my desk right now. No consolation for
you, but as for me, I have seen a lot of taps, ACME taps are extremely
rare.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dan (Dan ) wrote in :

Anybody know where I can find an 11/16" - 8 LH Acme tap?
I need it to fix my lathe.
Thanks,
Dan

Besly

http://www.besly.com/poptaps.htm

--

Dan

CNC Videos - http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32527 wrote in
:

On 2007-11-12, D Murphy wrote:
Dan (Dan ) wrote in :

Anybody know where I can find an 11/16" - 8 LH Acme tap?
I need it to fix my lathe.
Thanks,
Dan

Besly

http://www.besly.com/poptaps.htm

not in 11/16"

They won't make one?

Try Westport then.

http://westportcorp.com/taps/taps/acme_taps.htm

114 bucks. Ouch.

Maybe get a couple of guys to go in with you and get a quantity discount.

AFAIK, Acme taps are usually made to order. At least all of the ones I've
bought/used were.

--

Dan

CNC Videos - http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

It's for the cross feed screw on my South Bend lathe. I have to make a
new nut. It's one of those items you only need once.
The threaded part fits into a sleeve and is turned by a key and key
slot with the handwheel. I've been racking my brain trying to figure
out how to get a 5/8" to work. I have a taper attachment arrangment.
I just realized that a 3/4" 8 screw turned down will work.....maybe.
Still thinking.
Thanks everyone.
Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:46:02 GMT, Dan@ (Dan ) wrote:

It's for the cross feed screw on my South Bend lathe. I have to make a
new nut. It's one of those items you only need once.
The threaded part fits into a sleeve and is turned by a key and key
slot with the handwheel. I've been racking my brain trying to figure
out how to get a 5/8" to work. I have a taper attachment arrangment.
I just realized that a 3/4" 8 screw turned down will work.....maybe.
Still thinking.
Thanks everyone.
Dan

===========
for some more ideas click on
http://www.moglice.com/handbookpdfs/sectiong.pdf
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cg...1;t=022744;p=0
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/archiv...php/t-422.html
http://www.moglice.com/newsite/frames/wroteframe.html

Be reminded that if the screw is not uniform, i.e. is worn more
in one area, it will be impossible to get a uniform nut to screw
fit, and you will need to "polish" the screw to a uniform,
although possibly undersize/non-standard, major/minor/pitch
diameter. The moglice or other castable [even babbit] will fit
the new [non-standard] thread.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dan " Dan@ wrote in message ...
It's for the cross feed screw on my South Bend lathe. I have to make a
new nut. It's one of those items you only need once.
The threaded part fits into a sleeve and is turned by a key and key
slot with the handwheel. I've been racking my brain trying to figure
out how to get a 5/8" to work. I have a taper attachment arrangment.
I just realized that a 3/4" 8 screw turned down will work.....maybe.
Still thinking.
Thanks everyone.
Dan

You can very likely buy a new nut for quite a bit less than the cost of a
tap. Some of those nuts are fairly difficult to machine accurately enough,
even if you have a tap.They show up on E-Bay fairly often; one seller is
6900Judy and I think they go for about $65 to $85.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

Agreed, but none of the nuts on eBay are 11/16". I have begun plans to
change it over to 5/8" and will not be able to use the taper attacment
until I get a proper nut, but at least I can get going again.
Thanks for all your help guys.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dan@ (Dan ) wrote in :

It's for the cross feed screw on my South Bend lathe. I have to make a
new nut. It's one of those items you only need once.
The threaded part fits into a sleeve and is turned by a key and key
slot with the handwheel. I've been racking my brain trying to figure
out how to get a 5/8" to work. I have a taper attachment arrangment.
I just realized that a 3/4" 8 screw turned down will work.....maybe.
Still thinking.
Thanks everyone.
Dan

How about making your own tap?