Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default this may interest some of you - jacobs chuck info

I inquired of the jacobs chuck company regarding rather inconsistant runout
specifications for their chucks, here is the answer

We apologize this confusion. The runout specs of both chucks
(superchucks and professional keyed chucks) are measured at 1.5" from
the nose at half capacity test bar.

1. Superchucks T.I.R. spec is MAX. 0.003" at half capacity (1.5" from
the nose).
2. Pro keyed Chucks T.I.R. spec is MAX. 0.004" at half capacity (1.5"
from the nose).

We are updating our PDF file accordingly to avoid this kind of confusion
now.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Sincerely,
Jacobs Chuck Manufacturing Company--A Danaher Company

as an aside, if you have one of the later jacobs ball bearing chucks, be
very careful to never pound on the jaws - it causes brinellling of the
bearing and destroys the chuck accuracy - I just looked at one that must
have been dropped on the jaws - looked perfect from outside, but there are
nice ball sized dents in the race

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page, www.wbnoble.com and find my email

Jacobs chuck H Adams Woodturning 5 May 24th 07 06:15 PM
Jacobs chuck Larry Blanchard Woodturning 8 August 2nd 06 01:40 AM
Jacobs chuck Larry Blanchard Woodworking 0 August 1st 06 05:13 PM
Req: Info on Jacobs Chuck for Jet Mini Lathe Tailstock Xlat Woodturning 5 October 15th 04 03:09 AM
Looking for Jacobs 59B chuck key John Albers Metalworking 1 September 2nd 03 08:29 PM