Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sterlitamak 2S125 Drill Press?

I've got all the measurements from this one already, so no favors being
asked this time around. grin

Just curious if anyone had ever heard of this brand. I take pride in
knowing a good number of makes and models and rarely am I surprised by a
make I've not heard of... But this one caught me at a funny time this
morning and had me laughing at my lack of knowledge a bit.

It is supposedly a Russian-made drill press sold in the UK and Ireland,
etc... But it certainly looks Asian from this web site:

http://www.zhongyang-engrg.com/catalog/ndpst001.htm

Looks to be quite a capable machine... Until you look at this model by the
same company:

http://www.zhongyang-engrg.com/catalog/ndpst002.htm

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let us know how it works out, looks quite immense, I believe that a
German company is making similar looking drill presses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
It is supposedly a Russian-made drill press sold in the UK and Ireland,
etc... But it certainly looks Asian from this web site:

Sterlitamak is the Russian city (more precise it is Bashkortostan
city - small republic, part of Russia). It is well known for it's
machine building factories. But current reality is that lot of small
machines, having russian looking brand names could be imported
chinese stuff (modified/customized at best). It's not so for
big machines, but there are not many survived manufacturers
left. It is also possible that actually China is doing copies
of originally russian design. Naming like 2S125 is VERY common
for russian manufacturing - there where actually no any brand
names in methalworking manufacturing but those ugly IDs and
some references to the manufacturing plant.

C.

http://www.zhongyang-engrg.com/catalog/ndpst001.htm

Looks to be quite a capable machine... Until you look at this model by the
same company:

http://www.zhongyang-engrg.com/catalog/ndpst002.htm

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Coyher wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

It is supposedly a Russian-made drill press sold in the UK and
Ireland, etc... But it certainly looks Asian from this web site:

Sterlitamak is the Russian city (more precise it is Bashkortostan
city - small republic, part of Russia). It is well known for it's
machine building factories. But current reality is that lot of small
machines, having russian looking brand names could be imported
chinese stuff (modified/customized at best). It's not so for

By the way - if you look at
http://www.zhongyang-engrg.com/new/pillardrill.htm
then you would see that name 'Sterlitamak' is used in place of
country of origin. So it is possible that device is imported
from Russia to China and then sold to the UK/Ireland.

C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 22:39:18 GMT, Coyher wrote:

Coyher wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

It is supposedly a Russian-made drill press sold in the UK and
Ireland, etc... But it certainly looks Asian from this web site:

Sterlitamak is the Russian city (more precise it is Bashkortostan
city - small republic, part of Russia). It is well known for it's
machine building factories. But current reality is that lot of small
machines, having russian looking brand names could be imported
chinese stuff (modified/customized at best). It's not so for

By the way - if you look at
http://www.zhongyang-engrg.com/new/pillardrill.htm
then you would see that name 'Sterlitamak' is used in place of
country of origin. So it is possible that device is imported
from Russia to China and then sold to the UK/Ireland.

C.

Hey C.,

Yeah, and if you look at :

http://www.zhongyang-engrg.com/catalog/ndpes001.htm

it says it is a "Taiwan" model, but the face-plate name is AMCAS or
something. If you look even closer to the bottom of the page, it says
that "Zhongyang has been dealing in second hand European machinery for
more than three decades.", and below that it says that they are in
Malaysia. Ah, a world of mystery!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sterlitamak is the Russian city (more precise it is Bashkortostan
city - small republic, part of Russia). It is well known for it's
machine building factories. But current reality is that lot of small
machines, having russian looking brand names could be imported
chinese stuff (modified/customized at best). It's not so for
big machines, but there are not many survived manufacturers
left. It is also possible that actually China is doing copies
of originally russian design. Naming like 2S125 is VERY common
for russian manufacturing - there where actually no any brand
names in methalworking manufacturing but those ugly IDs and
some references to the manufacturing plant.

Thanks for the background info. Very interesting stuff. I'm not sure how
it will help me do my job better, but I sure do love learning these
things...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.