Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help needed for changing an oilseal

I have a Chinese 12x36 geared-head lathe with an oil leak from the seal
on the end of the shaft that drives the quadrant gear train. I figured I
could get to the seal by removing the cover, so I removed the three
cap-head screws and started levering it off with a couple of
screw-drivers. I can get it off enough to insert the legs of a puller
behind it, but the cover won't come off. It appears to come to a hard
stop and I'm afraid of exerting even more pressure encase I break
something. It feels as though there is a circlip behind the seal. The
following link shows a photo of the problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2hys7z

Can somebody tell me how to proceed please?

--
Regards, Gary Wooding

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

lemel_man wrote:
I have a Chinese 12x36 geared-head lathe with an oil leak from the seal
on the end of the shaft that drives the quadrant gear train. I figured I
could get to the seal by removing the cover, so I removed the three
cap-head screws and started levering it off with a couple of
screw-drivers. I can get it off enough to insert the legs of a puller
behind it, but the cover won't come off. It appears to come to a hard
stop and I'm afraid of exerting even more pressure encase I break
something. It feels as though there is a circlip behind the seal. The
following link shows a photo of the problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2hys7z

Can somebody tell me how to proceed please?

Bolt the housing back in place.

Drive a drywall screw, or other self tapping screw into the edges of
the seal.

Pull with pliers.

You will need either the numbers (all of them) off the seal, or at the
very least the dimensions, three of them. Inside diameter, outside
diameter, and thickness. Metric. Typically whole millimeters, but
sometimes halves.

Or take the seal to a bearing and seal place, and try to look
pathetic, and the counter guy will likely be able to help you out.

Counter guys in these places get a lot of that, and generally know
their business better than the retard teenagers hired to run the parts
counter in most chain stores.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:29:02 +0000, lemel_man
wrote:

I have a Chinese 12x36 geared-head lathe with an oil leak from the seal
on the end of the shaft that drives the quadrant gear train. I figured I
could get to the seal by removing the cover, so I removed the three
cap-head screws and started levering it off with a couple of
screw-drivers. I can get it off enough to insert the legs of a puller
behind it, but the cover won't come off. It appears to come to a hard
stop and I'm afraid of exerting even more pressure encase I break
something. It feels as though there is a circlip behind the seal. The
following link shows a photo of the problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2hys7z

Can somebody tell me how to proceed please?

For starters, Harbour Freight supplied a manual with mine and I'd
guess you can buy a copy from them. HF's part number for this manual
is: SKU 33274. It does have exploded views of everything, complete
with part numbers. If yer gonna be working on this it'd be a good
idea to have one handy. Sorry, I don't have a scanner.

And yes, there is a circlip on th' back side of that. I'd guess it's
accessible from inside th' headstock casting, via popping off th' top
cover.

Th' specification on that outer seal is listed as: PD20 x 45. Behind
it, inside that cover, are three more oil seals. Spec on those is:
0.5mm. FWIW, th' part number as per th' exploded view diagram on pg.
18 in th' manual is 57 for th' outer oil seal and 62 for th' three
inners.

That drywall screw trick Trevor Jones mentioned will work for th'
outer seal, but it's hard to tell by th' diagram what those three
inner oil seals look like, might be press fit shrug.

Oh yeah, while you have th' top cover off check th' gear engagements
of th' spindle and lead/feed gears. Those can be engaged with less
than 10% of contact and can prematurely wear those gears accordingly.
There are some adjustments for those, but what I ended up doing was
making corresponding witness marks on th' levers and face plate to get
them exact.

There's a *lot* of travel within th' ABC and 123 markings. You might
think that if yer dead center in A and 1 that's gonna be th' correct
engagement... wasn't even close. Now when I line up A to my witness
marks it's engaging as fully as possible, but th' handle is damn near
on th' line separating A & B.

Snarl... HTH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

note - many HF manuals can be downloaded as PDFs from their web site

wrote:

I have a Chinese 12x36 geared-head lathe with an oil leak from the seal
on the end of the shaft that drives the quadrant gear train. I figured I

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:29:02 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
lemel_man quickly quoth:

I have a Chinese 12x36 geared-head lathe with an oil leak from the seal
on the end of the shaft that drives the quadrant gear train. I figured I
could get to the seal by removing the cover, so I removed the three
cap-head screws and started levering it off with a couple of
screw-drivers. I can get it off enough to insert the legs of a puller
behind it, but the cover won't come off. It appears to come to a hard
stop and I'm afraid of exerting even more pressure encase I break
something. It feels as though there is a circlip behind the seal. The
following link shows a photo of the problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2hys7z

Can somebody tell me how to proceed please?

I'd be willing to bet that there's a snap ring directly behind the oil
seal, holding the shaft where it is and preventing the housing from
coming off. I'd button her back up and use a slide hammer puller with
a sheetmetal screw to pull that seal, then match it up at the local
industrial supply house.

--
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small
worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.

EAT value: what are the changing? Starflex Electronics Repair 0 June 9th 07 06:28 PM
You would think changing George UK diy 1 February 24th 07 08:07 PM
Changing a loo! [email protected] UK diy 11 March 11th 05 09:45 AM
Changing a washer.... Nozza UK diy 0 November 2nd 04 06:43 PM
Changing Oil in Snowblower anonymous Home Repair 8 December 10th 03 11:59 PM