Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Help needed for changing an oilseal

lemel_man wrote:
I have a Chinese 12x36 geared-head lathe with an oil leak from the seal
on the end of the shaft that drives the quadrant gear train. I figured I
could get to the seal by removing the cover, so I removed the three
cap-head screws and started levering it off with a couple of
screw-drivers. I can get it off enough to insert the legs of a puller
behind it, but the cover won't come off. It appears to come to a hard
stop and I'm afraid of exerting even more pressure encase I break
something. It feels as though there is a circlip behind the seal. The
following link shows a photo of the problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2hys7z

Can somebody tell me how to proceed please?

Bolt the housing back in place.

Drive a drywall screw, or other self tapping screw into the edges of
the seal.

Pull with pliers.

You will need either the numbers (all of them) off the seal, or at the
very least the dimensions, three of them. Inside diameter, outside
diameter, and thickness. Metric. Typically whole millimeters, but
sometimes halves.

Or take the seal to a bearing and seal place, and try to look
pathetic, and the counter guy will likely be able to help you out.

Counter guys in these places get a lot of that, and generally know
their business better than the retard teenagers hired to run the parts
counter in most chain stores.

Cheers
Trevor Jones