Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where might I have an antique bubble inclinometer repaired?

I found a very nice cast iron 24inch bubble inclinometer at a yard
sale. I don't have the unit in front of me and can't remember the
manufacturer but I remember that its patent date was around 1892-1896.
The center is a rotating brass insert with the graduations in degrees
are around this brass insert. The glass bubble is empty and I assume
its cracked somewhere. All the original japanning is intact, light
surface rust and appears to have been well taken care off.

I'd like to have this item repaired and re certified if possible,
anyone know where I might get this restored?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Modat22" wrote in message
I found a very nice cast iron 24inch bubble inclinometer at a yard
sale. I don't have the unit in front of me and can't remember the
manufacturer but I remember that its patent date was around 1892-1896.
The center is a rotating brass insert with the graduations in degrees
are around this brass insert. The glass bubble is empty and I assume
its cracked somewhere. All the original japanning is intact, light
surface rust and appears to have been well taken care off.

I'd like to have this item repaired and re certified if possible,
anyone know where I might get this restored?

Have you tried googling? A couple of years ago I found on the site of
someone posting full and very impressive details of how to make your own.
Perhaps he'd be prepared to make one for you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 23:46:42 GMT, "Chief McGee"
wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...ls%22+rep air

Thankyou
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:04:32 +0100, "newshound"
wrote:

"Modat22" wrote in message
.. .
I found a very nice cast iron 24inch bubble inclinometer at a yard
sale. I don't have the unit in front of me and can't remember the
manufacturer but I remember that its patent date was around 1892-1896.
The center is a rotating brass insert with the graduations in degrees
are around this brass insert. The glass bubble is empty and I assume
its cracked somewhere. All the original japanning is intact, light
surface rust and appears to have been well taken care off.

I'd like to have this item repaired and re certified if possible,
anyone know where I might get this restored?

Have you tried googling? A couple of years ago I found on the site of
someone posting full and very impressive details of how to make your own.
Perhaps he'd be prepared to make one for you?

Hey Modat,

Look in the Yellow Pages for a supplier of Surveyor's Equipment. They
should be able to put you in touch with someone who does work on the
now-old-fashioned bubble transits and theodolites.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm looking at a shumatech dro kit for my smithy 1220ltd. I'm a
complete amateur with my machine and can't decide if the milling
version or the lathe version is best for my use.

I'm leaning toward the mill version because I seem to use it more than
my lathe but some of the lathe options in the shumatech dro look
pretty nice.

I'm also considering getting both lathe and mill dro face plates and
just reprogramming the dro whenever I switch operations.

any thoughts or advice welcome.

Thanks