Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Where might I have an antique bubble inclinometer repaired?

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:04:32 +0100, "newshound"
wrote:

"Modat22" wrote in message
.. .
I found a very nice cast iron 24inch bubble inclinometer at a yard
sale. I don't have the unit in front of me and can't remember the
manufacturer but I remember that its patent date was around 1892-1896.
The center is a rotating brass insert with the graduations in degrees
are around this brass insert. The glass bubble is empty and I assume
its cracked somewhere. All the original japanning is intact, light
surface rust and appears to have been well taken care off.

I'd like to have this item repaired and re certified if possible,
anyone know where I might get this restored?

Have you tried googling? A couple of years ago I found on the site of
someone posting full and very impressive details of how to make your own.
Perhaps he'd be prepared to make one for you?

Hey Modat,

Look in the Yellow Pages for a supplier of Surveyor's Equipment. They
should be able to put you in touch with someone who does work on the
now-old-fashioned bubble transits and theodolites.