Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Statistics for week ending 20071015

This post is generated weekly as a service to the participants of
Rec.Crafts.Metalworking

Turquoise SuperStat 2.2 * Message area statistics

(c) Copyright 1998-2005 Peter Karlsson

This report covers 6200 messages written between 2007-09-15 00:18:20 and
2007-10-14 23:06:02

Blacklist of quoters (of people who have written at least three messages)

Place Name Msgs Ratio
1. John Scheldroup 3 92.55%
2. Randal O'Brian 3 92.31%
3. RickH 4 88.85%
4. willshak 12 88.24%
5. charlie 5 87.78%
6. mich 4 86.74%
7. 21 85.86%
8. Geoff 10 85.58%
9. Bob Ward 9 85.46%
10. Steve Austin 4 85.45%
11. Veronique 3 85.37%
12. Sevenhundred Elves 5 85.13%
13. Ignoramus22384 5 85.08%
14. Don Stauffer in Minnesota 3 84.98%
15.
9 84.50%

A total of 7636942 bytes were written (message bodies only), of which
4440417, or 58.14%, were quotes.

Toplist of writers

Place Name Msgs Bytes Quoted
1. Ed Huntress 390 678413 62.0%
2. Too_Many_Tools 208 481558 67.0%
3. Gunner Asch 196 251487 67.9%
4. Larry Jaques 184 224846 54.0%
5. Michael A. Terrell 173 168868 68.1%
6. DoN. Nichols 145 237563 38.0%
7. Wes 125 80302 47.2%
8. Pete C. 118 166820 79.9%
9. cavelamb himself 114 120109 65.1%
10. Cliff 112 117726 40.1%
11. john 94 196386 80.4%
12. Rich Grise 86 81469 66.7%
13. F. George McDuffee gmcduffee@mcduffee-associates. 74 128736 28.5%
14. Gunner 71 70862 68.2%
15. Tom Gardner 67 64759 67.9%

A total of 668 people were identified.

Toplist of original content per message (of people who have written at
least three messages)

Place Name Orig. / Msgs = PrMsg Quoted
1. Statistics 66172 / 3 = 22057
2. Don Klipstein 6459 / 3 = 2153 34.2%
3. Scott S. Logan 9269 / 5 = 1853 7.8%
4. Keith Marshall tooladdict@progressivelogic 4826 / 3 = 1608 56.8%
5. Andrew Erickson 4772 / 3 = 1590 4.4%
6. F. George McDuffee gmcduffee@mcduffee-asso 92005 / 74 = 1243 28.5%
7. Ted Frater 8628 / 7 = 1232 55.8%
8. Monika Krug monikakrug@expires-2007-09-30. 14362 / 12 = 1196 38.8%
9. David Merrill 8055 / 7 = 1150 28.1%
10. James Lerch -spam-seeds. 5670 / 5 = 1134 21.4%
11. Wild_Bill 20278 / 18 = 1126 39.4%
12. Bill Schwab 28421 / 26 = 1093 37.2%
13. Prometheus 20544 / 19 = 1081 36.6%
14. Bruce L. Bergman blnospambergman@earthlink 44265 / 41 = 1079 41.2%
15. matt 3197 / 3 = 1065 14.2%

Toplist of subjects

Place Subject Msgs Bytes
1. Pet Food, Toothpaste, Lead Paint, and now.... 222 365034
2. OT - Should Recalls Cause A Company's Demise? 151 384445
3. Ping Gunner 141 173283
4. OT Iraq like Vietnam blood for money Redux [was: Greek Pa 127 152296
5. Boeing and metrcication question 118 169493
6. AA battery hack secret 100 103721
7. An answer to why the reduction in science and engineering 99 175133
8. Real Baghdad Story 81 75079
9. Doe's Anyone in Los Angeles Know This Guy? 77 149319
OT? Weigh your car by checking tire pressure? 77 88725
11. Bulletproof AR15 bolt 76 135440
12. how to bypass dremel tool internal variable speed control 75 87249
13. OT-Veterans Disarmament Act H.R. 2640 74 95327
14. Gluing aluminum 70 136954
15. NRA knife made in China 62 69698

A total of 528 subjects were identified.

Toplist of programs

Place Program Msgs
1. Microsoft Outlook Express 1401
2. Forte Agent 895
3. G2 764
4. Mozilla 642
5. Forte Agent 1.93/32.576 English 287
6. Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 286
7. slrn 241
8. Forte Free Agent 226
9. trn 4.0-test76 151
10. Pan 133
11. Thunderbird 1.5.0.13 126
12. Xnews 112
13. MT-NewsWatcher 109
14. Microsoft Windows Mail 95
15. KNode 68

A total of 50 different programs (not counting different versions) were
identified.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 15, 6:49 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 04:40:07 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Statistics) quickly quoth:

=============================================== ==

(c) Copyright 1998-2005 Peter Karlsson

This report covers 6200 messages written between 2007-09-15 00:18:20 and
2007-10-14 23:06:02
Toplist of writers

Place Name Msgs Bytes Quoted
1. Ed Huntress 390 678413 62.0%

When Ed comes back to Usenet, he does it with gusto.

2. Too_Many_Tools 208 481558 67.0%

Plonking sure saves me a lot of hassle. In this case, it's a minimum
of 208 unseen trolls.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

I would like to see some historic comparisons. I find many old-line
newsgroups are seriously declining. One, rec.models.scale has gone
from around two hundred a day five years ago to about twenty a day
these days. I have noticed a significant drop in several others.

This group seems to be one of the few staying really active.

My ISP no longer supports newsgroups, so I went to Google Groups.
Lately it looks like GG is also letting their support drop
significantly. I notice a lot of errors in the listings, and find the
link inactive occasionally.

Is Usenet dying? Too many individual web-based discussion groups?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 06:44:31 -0700, Don Stauffer in Minnesota
wrote:

On Oct 15, 6:49 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

No...its just the end of Summer...and the winter doldrums havent
started people seeking out Usenet for entertainment yet.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

No...its just the end of Summer...and the winter doldrums havent
started people seeking out Usenet for entertainment yet.

The OT posts will be in an increase soon.

My only metal working today was filing down a brass jag for cleaning my .58
sidelock.

I got the jag stuck once and had to clamp my cleaning rod handle in my mill
vise to get enough leverage to pull it out.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Beware that a lot of people are killfiling all Google Groups posters
due to GG being a spammers' haven. You may not be seen by as many
people as you would probably like, if you post from GG.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:27:51 -0400, Wes wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

No...its just the end of Summer...and the winter doldrums havent
started people seeking out Usenet for entertainment yet.

The OT posts will be in an increase soon.

My only metal working today was filing down a brass jag for cleaning my .58
sidelock.

Im playing hooky and cleaning the shop up a bit. I really need a crew
and about a week.

I got the jag stuck once and had to clamp my cleaning rod handle in my mill
vise to get enough leverage to pull it out.

Wes

Had that happen once with a Hawken. Unscrewed the rod, unscrewed the
nipple and put in about 5 grs of FFF and shot it into a 5 gallon
bucket of water.

Sounded like a .22

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:01:30 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

wrote:
Is Usenet dying? Too many individual web-based discussion groups?

No...its just the end of Summer...and the winter doldrums havent
started people seeking out Usenet for entertainment yet.

After Don asked that this morning, 125 more messages came through RCM,
and the day isn't over yet.

And anything but Usenet sucks the big one. It takes forever to read a
dozen messages, let alone 125, anywhere but here.

Viva Usenet!

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:30:31 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
1. Ed Huntress 390 678413
62.0%

When Ed comes back to Usenet, he does it with gusto.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess. Pass the beer.

Everything in moderation, including moderation, huh?

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Actual metalworking (was: Statistics for week ending 20071015)

According to Wes :
Gunner Asch wrote:

No...its just the end of Summer...and the winter doldrums havent
started people seeking out Usenet for entertainment yet.

The OT posts will be in an increase soon.

My only metal working today was filing down a brass jag for cleaning my .58
sidelock.

My recent metalworking was making a tap wrench big enough to
handle a MT-4 finishing reamer (and almost a MT-5 one. If I had spaced
the clamping screws just a little more it would have cleared the corners
of the reamer's square. (Next one will do just that.)

This started as a project to teach a friend how easy it was to
make your own tools. Unfortunately, he is a long drive from here, and
was last here *last* summer, not the one just finished, and then my wife
was in the hospital, and then his lady was, and we've never gotten
started again.

But, I recently acquired a nice drill press vise (labeled as
Craftsman, but of the Ralmike lever locking design). So -- mine is
finished, his is still at the state of two handles, turned round from
square and knurled in the handle part, and a V groove milled in the
still square part to accept the corners of the drive square. No holes
drilled, and tapped, so *his* can still be modified to accept the MT-5
reamer, though his lathe only needs a MT-3 for cleanup of the spindle,
and mine a MT-4-1/2 (reamer made of unobtanium. :-)

Both are made from 3/4" square 12L14 rod.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564