Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Actual metalworking (was: Statistics for week ending 20071015)

According to Wes :
Gunner Asch wrote:

No...its just the end of Summer...and the winter doldrums havent
started people seeking out Usenet for entertainment yet.

The OT posts will be in an increase soon.

My only metal working today was filing down a brass jag for cleaning my .58
sidelock.

My recent metalworking was making a tap wrench big enough to
handle a MT-4 finishing reamer (and almost a MT-5 one. If I had spaced
the clamping screws just a little more it would have cleared the corners
of the reamer's square. (Next one will do just that.)

This started as a project to teach a friend how easy it was to
make your own tools. Unfortunately, he is a long drive from here, and
was last here *last* summer, not the one just finished, and then my wife
was in the hospital, and then his lady was, and we've never gotten
started again.

But, I recently acquired a nice drill press vise (labeled as
Craftsman, but of the Ralmike lever locking design). So -- mine is
finished, his is still at the state of two handles, turned round from
square and knurled in the handle part, and a V groove milled in the
still square part to accept the corners of the drive square. No holes
drilled, and tapped, so *his* can still be modified to accept the MT-5
reamer, though his lathe only needs a MT-3 for cleanup of the spindle,
and mine a MT-4-1/2 (reamer made of unobtanium. :-)

Both are made from 3/4" square 12L14 rod.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564