Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT?: Storing a window air conditioner?

Hi All,

Not completely off topic, but I figured folks here would know, no
luck on this from google :-(.

The AC came out of the window yesterday and the only place to
store it is on the back (fins side), would require a serious
re-arrangement to put it flat.

Is that going to be a problem?

It is not sitting on the fins, but rather the case and on top of
a couple strips of wood to keep it off the floor. Probably
won't be needed until next July or August.

Thanks & take care, Chris.
--
"Principle is a terrible thing, because it demands not what is
convenient but what is right." -- Jonathan Turley.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw jw is offline

On Oct 4, 2:00 pm, Chris wrote:
Hi All,

Not completely off topic, but I figured folks here would know, no
luck on this from google :-(.

The AC came out of the window yesterday and the only place to
store it is on the back (fins side), would require a serious
re-arrangement to put it flat.

Is that going to be a problem?

It is not sitting on the fins, but rather the case and on top of
a couple strips of wood to keep it off the floor. Probably
won't be needed until next July or August.

Thanks & take care, Chris.
--
"Principle is a terrible thing, because it demands not what is
convenient but what is right." -- Jonathan Turley.

Not a problem, other than when you place it back in service leave it
in position for a period(minimum of an hour) to allow the oil to drain
down before starting it.

There is a small potential for the oil to collect in the suction line
and you will hydrolock the compressor.

JW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jw wrote:

On Oct 4, 2:00 pm, Chris wrote:
Hi All,

Not completely off topic, but I figured folks here would know,
no luck on this from google :-(.

The AC came out of the window yesterday and the only place to
store it is on the back (fins side), would require a serious
re-arrangement to put it flat.

Is that going to be a problem?

[ ... ]
Not a problem, other than when you place it back in service
leave it in position for a period(minimum of an hour) to allow
the oil to drain down before starting it.

There is a small potential for the oil to collect in the
suction line and you will hydrolock the compressor.

Thanks JW! Now I can quit worrying :-).

Will be easy to leave it horizontal when I go to install it as I
have to get it out and put it on the cart to drag it back in
here while I assemble the "no holes" mount that keeps the
landlord happy :-).

Thanks much, Chris

Window Air Conditioner Angle? Saml Home Repair 9 May 13th 07 01:20 AM
Window Air Conditioner Home Repair 2 June 20th 06 02:35 AM
Need Help Install Window Air Conditioner in Storm Window Frame Mike Home Repair 4 June 20th 06 01:10 AM
Milgard window and window air conditioner Harry Avant Home Repair 1 May 14th 06 06:56 PM
Window Air Conditioner Panels Ish Home Repair 6 July 15th 05 10:59 AM