Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More on the Segway

"How Things Work" has a video and some pretty detailed text about what's
inside the Segways. He

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/segway-mini-video.htm

Jeff (Who still regards the Segway as the answer to the question nobody
asked...)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

"How Things Work" has a video and some pretty detailed text about what's
inside the Segways. He

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/segway-mini-video.htm

Jeff (Who still regards the Segway as the answer to the question nobody
asked...)

Other than being a bit nifty from a technology perspective, the only
benefit I see to a Segway is that it's a bit more practical to take on
public transit than a conventional bicycle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
"How Things Work" has a video and some pretty detailed text about what's
inside the Segways. He

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/segway-mini-video.htm

Jeff (Who still regards the Segway as the answer to the question nobody
asked...)

Other than being a bit nifty from a technology perspective, the only
benefit I see to a Segway is that it's a bit more practical to take on
public transit than a conventional bicycle.

Hmm, will walking go out of style? Maybe each newborn will be given a
Segway, and never need to learn to walk.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

Hmm, will walking go out of style? Maybe each newborn will be given a
Segway, and never need to learn to walk.

Hmmm, wonder what changes Zagar and Evans would make to
their sole hit, 'In the Year 2525' if they were to update it
today? Maybe just have to revise the dates....

"In the year fifty five fifty five
your arms are hangin' limp at your side

Your legs got nothin' to do
some machines doin' that for you."

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hmmm, wonder what changes Zagar and Evans would make to their sole hit,
'In the Year 2525' if they were to update it today? Maybe just have to
revise the dates....

"In the year fifty five fifty five
your arms are hangin' limp at your side

Your legs got nothin' to do
some machines doin' that for you."

Jon

ROFL (showing our age.....)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 2, 3:45 pm, Jon Anderson wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Hmm, will walking go out of style? Maybe each newborn will be given a
Segway, and never need to learn to walk.

Hmmm, wonder what changes Zagar and Evans would make to
their sole hit, 'In the Year 2525' if they were to update it
today? Maybe just have to revise the dates....

"In the year fifty five fifty five
your arms are hangin' limp at your side

Your legs got nothin' to do
some machines doin' that for you."

Jon

Guess you never rode a rough trail on one. The path along the river
behind their plant is as hard on the ankles as cross-country skiing.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Louis Ohland wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
"How Things Work" has a video and some pretty detailed text about what's
inside the Segways. He

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/segway-mini-video.htm

Jeff (Who still regards the Segway as the answer to the question nobody
asked...)

Other than being a bit nifty from a technology perspective, the only
benefit I see to a Segway is that it's a bit more practical to take on
public transit than a conventional bicycle.

Hmm, will walking go out of style? Maybe each newborn will be given a
Segway, and never need to learn to walk.

That's what Mad Magazine said about scooters back in the 1960s. They
predicted that legs would become vestigial
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:51:21 GMT, Pete C. wrote:

Other than being a bit nifty from a technology perspective, the only
benefit I see to a Segway is that it's a bit more practical to take on
public transit than a conventional bicycle.

They're bulky, though. Best use I've seen is for a guy who would
otherwise be in a wheelchair, due to a few abbreviated limbs. Pretty
impressive how manouverable it is; his wheels are larger than stock and
I think he said it's "geared" differently (but I'm pretty sure it's
direct drive from the motor).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The school I work for has about 8 or 10 of them campus wide. 1 is in our
department. The campus is about 1 mile on each of the 4 sides, so we have a
lot of ground to cover. The staff that uses our Segway, is almost fully
estimators that need to carry very little equipment, but do sometime need to
be across campus quickly. The tech's seldom use the Segway, because we need
to carry tools and supplies. The other options, for both groups, are
electric GEM carts (which I drive daily and love) and small trucks (toyota)
and vans (various makes). The segway fills in as a communal use light duty
transport. Its strength is that its maneuverable, fairly fast, easy to use
and just plain fun. The maint cost has been far lower then the Gem carts and
the trucks etc. And its a blast to ride. Ours is the off road version, as we
have some folks that are big and tall!!!!
In our setting, a campus, the Segway is a perfect fit!!!!!!!!!

bob in phx.

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:51:21 GMT, Pete C. wrote:

Other than being a bit nifty from a technology perspective, the only
benefit I see to a Segway is that it's a bit more practical to take on
public transit than a conventional bicycle.

They're bulky, though. Best use I've seen is for a guy who would
otherwise be in a wheelchair, due to a few abbreviated limbs. Pretty
impressive how manouverable it is; his wheels are larger than stock and
I think he said it's "geared" differently (but I'm pretty sure it's
direct drive from the motor).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
"How Things Work" has a video and some pretty detailed text about what's
inside the Segways. He

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/segway-mini-video.htm

Jeff (Who still regards the Segway as the answer to the question nobody
asked...)

Here is a web site from a guy that built his own segway clone:

http://www.tlb.org/scooter.html

He gives pretty good detail on it - probably enough to duplicate.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob in Phx" wrote in
:

[...]

snip

I was down at the Franklin Institute in Philly for the King Tut exibit and
noticed that a bunch of guards were running around the building on Segways.
Talked to one guard who said they use them alot and had just gotten a bunch
of new ones, I asked her if anyone had tried them down the stairs yet and
was told that she hadn't seen anyone do that 'yet' but they do race them
around on slow afternoons.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob in Phx wrote:

[...]

So basically the expensive Segway is replacing a simple bicycle in
functionality at a great increase in cost and a reduction in exercise.
Sounds like a wonderful innovation. It of course wouldn't be trendy, but
perhaps you should investigate the pedal tricycles I've seen used in
many large factories. They are low cost, low maintenance, "green", give
modest exercise and have nice sized cargo baskets that easily carry most
tools.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:
"Bob in Phx" wrote in
:

[...]

Ditto that for the "Tech Museum" in San Jose, when we visited there last
month.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 3, 8:37 am, Bill wrote:
I asked her if anyone had tried them down the stairs yet and
was told that she hadn't seen anyone do that 'yet' but they do race them
around on slow afternoons.
Bill

There are stairs in the factory test track but only the craziest
engineers ride on them. The fixed-handle model has a powered stairway
assist mode that lets you climb stairs dismounted, like pushing a reel-
type lawnmower.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 3, 8:37 am, Bill wrote:
I asked her if anyone had tried them down the stairs yet and
was told that she hadn't seen anyone do that 'yet' but they do race them
around on slow afternoons.
Bill

There are stairs in the factory test track but only the craziest
engineers ride on them. The fixed-handle model has a powered stairway
assist mode that lets you climb stairs dismounted, like pushing a reel-
type lawnmower.

This is a great thing for the human spirit. Security guards *need* things
like racing Segways and climbing stairs with them on off hours. It's their
little version of hitting golfballs on the moon.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
Bob in Phx wrote:

The school I work for has about 8 or 10 of them campus wide. 1 is in our
department. The campus is about 1 mile on each of the 4 sides, so we have
lot of ground to cover. The staff that uses our Segway, is almost fully
estimators that need to carry very little equipment, but do sometime need
be across campus quickly. The tech's seldom use the Segway, because we
need
to carry tools and supplies. The other options, for both groups, are
electric GEM carts (which I drive daily and love) and small trucks
(toyota)
and vans (various makes). The segway fills in as a communal use light
duty
transport. Its strength is that its maneuverable, fairly fast, easy to
use
and just plain fun. The maint cost has been far lower then the Gem carts

The GEM carts are fun to drive, but they are really junk. We have a dead one
in the garage that I'm tempted to hoist on top of a conex, since the POS
battery charger needs to be replaced at an exorbitant cost.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:38:47 -0700, "Bob in Phx"
wrote:

[...]

While waiting to meet SWMBO at Detroit Metro airport in June '06, I
observed one of the security staff taking a shortcut and carrying his
segway down a flight of stairs.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They have 4 wheel versions that are nice. I want one of those.

Something like a 4-wheeler used in forest and ranch/farm/hunting...

I'd love one to fetch the mail. That is 400 feet from the house.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Pete C. wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
"How Things Work" has a video and some pretty detailed text about what's
inside the Segways. He

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/segway-mini-video.htm

Jeff (Who still regards the Segway as the answer to the question nobody
asked...)

Other than being a bit nifty from a technology perspective, the only
benefit I see to a Segway is that it's a bit more practical to take on
public transit than a conventional bicycle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete, the bike thing has been tried time and time again. It doesn't work.
But what does work is the fact most of the students and staff ride some sort
of thing in from the parking lots, early in the mornings. Some skateboards,
some push scooters, some bikes....etc...

Now I don't know if you have ever lived in phoenix AZ, but it gets bloody
hot here, so getting from air conditioned building to air conditioned
building, without working up such a sweat that no one would like to be in
the same room with you , is not easy. Thus the segway.
Or the gem carts if you have to move tools and supplies around (I keep about
350 pounds of stuff in the locked cabinet on the back of my Gem) The Segway
and or Gems, get us from point A to point B quickly, reliability, safely and
they are fun. So, Bottom line is that trendy does not enter into it. and I
don't appreciate that comment or the tone of your other comments... Have a
nice day......

"Pete C." wrote in message
Bob in Phx wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob in Phx wrote:

Pete, the bike thing has been tried time and time again. It doesn't work.
But what does work is the fact most of the students and staff ride some sort
of thing in from the parking lots, early in the mornings. Some skateboards,
some push scooters, some bikes....etc...

I'll note that all the items you mentioned are human powered.

Now I don't know if you have ever lived in phoenix AZ, but it gets bloody
hot here, so getting from air conditioned building to air conditioned
building, without working up such a sweat that no one would like to be in
the same room with you , is not easy.

I'm in Texas, and it gets hot here too, perhaps with a little more
humidity. I don't find it to be an issue getting from building to
building or parking lot to building.

Thus the segway.
Or the gem carts if you have to move tools and supplies around (I keep about
350 pounds of stuff in the locked cabinet on the back of my Gem) The Segway
and or Gems, get us from point A to point B quickly, reliability, safely and
they are fun. So, Bottom line is that trendy does not enter into it. and I
don't appreciate that comment or the tone of your other comments... Have a
nice day......

Trendy sure does enter into it, the trend away from routine exercise
which is a big contributor to the obesity issues in the US. If the trend
keeps up we'll end up a country of "power chair" users who can barely
get on and off the dang things. Considering how recent the Segway is,
they sure aren't essential and people have survived the conditions you
indicate just fine for decades.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Rex wrote:

[...]

Hmm, will walking go out of style? Maybe each newborn will be given a
Segway, and never need to learn to walk.

That's what Mad Magazine said about scooters back in the 1960s. They
predicted that legs would become vestigial

As I look around town, I think they were right.