Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default More on the Segway

Bob in Phx wrote:

The school I work for has about 8 or 10 of them campus wide. 1 is in our
department. The campus is about 1 mile on each of the 4 sides, so we have a
lot of ground to cover. The staff that uses our Segway, is almost fully
estimators that need to carry very little equipment, but do sometime need to
be across campus quickly. The tech's seldom use the Segway, because we need
to carry tools and supplies. The other options, for both groups, are
electric GEM carts (which I drive daily and love) and small trucks (toyota)
and vans (various makes). The segway fills in as a communal use light duty
transport. Its strength is that its maneuverable, fairly fast, easy to use
and just plain fun. The maint cost has been far lower then the Gem carts and
the trucks etc. And its a blast to ride. Ours is the off road version, as we
have some folks that are big and tall!!!!
In our setting, a campus, the Segway is a perfect fit!!!!!!!!!

So basically the expensive Segway is replacing a simple bicycle in
functionality at a great increase in cost and a reduction in exercise.
Sounds like a wonderful innovation. It of course wouldn't be trendy, but
perhaps you should investigate the pedal tricycles I've seen used in
many large factories. They are low cost, low maintenance, "green", give
modest exercise and have nice sized cargo baskets that easily carry most
tools.